First time open carrying

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ohiorobp

Re: First time open carrying

Post by ohiorobp »

Good job TJW! Who knows how long the poor dog would have lasted had you not did what you did. Congrats on the first open carry experience too. Thanks for sharing!!!
Fly high in the heavens baby girl, I will see you again one day!
Gracie 2004-2012
NRA member, Army Veteran, LEO for a bit lol, OATH KEEPER, former RSO and INSTRUCTOR....I'm really not that old LOL
Former owner and blogger of thesheepdoglife
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

TJW815 wrote:I was DETANGLING THE CHAIN one handed

Whatever you say, sport

I'm having trouble envisioning a situation where it would be legal to have a strange dog by it's chain in one hand while you shoot it in someone else's front yard whom you don't even know.

But if you say it's fine I'll take your word for it,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
whoownsyou
Account Deactivated

Post by whoownsyou »

@TJW: Aren't you glad you shared your story with a group of like-minded individuals?
"If you can get the cows to attack each other whenever anybody brings up the reality of their situation, then you don't have to spend nearly as much controlling them directly." -Stefan Molyneux

"Most of what I do can be summed up by: I go around telling people that they should be free and they tell me, 'No, I shouldn't.'" -Larken Rose
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

whoownsyou wrote:@TJW: Aren't you glad you shared your story with a group of like-minded individuals?
I tell ya it certainly prepares you for the confrontations you are sure to get with those who would rather you not exercise your rights! :roll: I'm sure I will need the prep as I begin to open carry more.

Takes more than that to get me riled up though. I'm sure once they think it through he are just assuming the worst case scenario in their heads, which is fine, although its the same thing they complain about certain gun grabbing politicians doing. :wink:
Nocturnx

Post by Nocturnx »

I'm not trying to pile on but... What was the reason for drawing? The only reason a gun should clear the holster is if you are in fear of your life. And so I would have to assume if you were in fear of your life, that the dog was large and behaving aggressive toward you. So then why would you attempt to free it? Just seems a bit over the top...can't say I would have done the same. Either the dog was friendly and I would free him or he was aggressive and I continue on my way. Isn't Monday morning quarterbacking fun, thanks for sharing your story.
179th APS
OEF Veteran
Gunner75

Post by Gunner75 »

Nocturnx wrote:I'm not trying to pile on but... What was the reason for drawing? The only reason a gun should clear the holster is if you are in fear of your life.

Possibly because an unknown dog can change its demeanor in an instant. Why not be cautious?
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Give him a break he is running for dog warden in November...
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
lrp3rd

Post by lrp3rd »

First time open carrying, helping out an animal in distress, what's all the flack? It's the "you should've" people that kick a guy right in the groin. The man "done good" without incident so give him an "atta boy" and leave it at that. You should've guys/gals weren't there! It makes me feel good to know one of my fellow forum members would take the time to help out during an important life transition. How many of you should've guys would do the same? They are becoming farther and farther between. So with that I'll get down off the box, and say "atta boy and thank you to the brand new open carrier."
BobK

Post by BobK »

Nocturnx wrote:... The only reason a gun should clear the holster is if you are in fear of your life. ...
Do not forget the law on use of deadly force is different for animals versus people.

Assuming I am someplace that I am legally allowed to be, I can shoot any dog in Ohio that is simply approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack (R.C. 955.28). I certainly do not need to be in "fear of my life".

Back to the OP, glad he was a good Samaritan and nothing negative happened.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

It was a good day. Nobody got upset. Nobody got shot. Nobody got arrested.

No animals were harmed in the production of this thread.

Let's all go home.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Chanlsrfer

Post by Chanlsrfer »

Whoah...back onto the OC thingy...
ohiophotog wrote:
alan93 wrote:great to hear.
And be thankful you have a wife that supports you in that, not all GFs, and Wives support that.
I'm still working with mine, made loads of progress but not there yet.

It's a process for everyone to go from not understanding carrying a sidearm to understanding why we do it and eventually becoming someone who wants to step up and provide their own protection and to stop living in a dream world where everyone is protected by the police.

I am proud of my wife for how she has progressed these last few years on the subject of carrying and firearms in general and I look forward to seeing her progress even more and maybe even competing with me or volunteering for the great folks here at OFCC.
Same situation. My wife, absolutely against having a gun in the house 4 years ago, now has her own CHL and a few selections of carry. Slow and steady won that race though.
JmE

Post by JmE »

You did a good thing, TJW815, and you did it just fine. (both OCing and the dog rescue)

I live out in the country and BobK has the right answer, IMHO. Although I would tend not to unholster with human "problems" unless I was really, really sure of their intent and determination as they can get their panties in a wad and lie to the 911 dispatcher... If I'm dealing with an animal of the non-human variety; I have had my sidearm in hand on occasions where it was "iffy". IMHO, brandishing and the like are about the situation being escalated by the presentation of a firearm. Unless that dog was the most intelligent one of many litters or was specifically trained to recognize a weapons threat, presenting a firearm wouldn't be what escalated the encounter. Hence, the intent of such laws wouldn't make much sense in the situation that you described.
Then, Sir, we will give them the bayonet! - Gen.Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson
It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it. - Gen. Robert E. Lee
If we must die, we die defending our rights. - Chief Sitting Bull

Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato
Nocturnx

Post by Nocturnx »

BobK wrote:
Nocturnx wrote:... The only reason a gun should clear the holster is if you are in fear of your life. ...
Do not forget the law on use of deadly force is different for animals versus people.

Assuming I am someplace that I am legally allowed to be, I can shoot any dog in Ohio that is simply approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack (R.C. 955.28). I certainly do not need to be in "fear of my life".

Back to the OP, glad he was a good Samaritan and nothing negative happened.

Except HE was the one approaching the dog in a menacing fashion... The dog was chained to a pole minding his own business, the dog had more reason to draw lol.
179th APS
OEF Veteran
whoownsyou
Account Deactivated

Post by whoownsyou »

First of all, as I read it, the dog was loose. The pole you're referring to was being dragged by the dog. Secondly, I'm pretty sure the very word menacing indicates the threat of harm. Were you to say to a burglar, "I have a gun and I will shoot you if you do not leave right now," you would not be eligible for the word menacing as you would not have been the initiator.

If we could be guilty of menacing just for being prepared at a point in time where risk is higher, then we could be guilty of menacing for carrying a gun, for having applied for the license, for owning the gun...
"If you can get the cows to attack each other whenever anybody brings up the reality of their situation, then you don't have to spend nearly as much controlling them directly." -Stefan Molyneux

"Most of what I do can be summed up by: I go around telling people that they should be free and they tell me, 'No, I shouldn't.'" -Larken Rose
Nocturnx

Post by Nocturnx »

whoownsyou wrote:First of all, as I read it, the dog was loose. The pole you're referring to was being dragged by the dog. Secondly, I'm pretty sure the very word menacing indicates the threat of harm. Were you to say to a burglar, "I have a gun and I will shoot you if you do not leave right now," you would not be eligible for the word menacing as you would not have been the initiator.
I think my attempt at humor failed but I'll respond. First off, your talking about a burglar breaking into your home which is completely different and covered by the Castle Doctrine. He was putting himself into this possibly unfavorable situation on someone else's property. If there was a threat of harm he should not have approached. Secondly, he was approaching the dog with the gun drawn, he was the initiator.
whoownsyou wrote:If we could be guilty of menacing just for being prepared at a point in time where risk is higher, then we could be guilty of menacing for carrying a gun, for having applied for the license, for owning the gun...
I think your exaggerating quite a bit here. Being prepared and walking around with a gun drawn are two different things. Gun holstered is prepared, walking around with it in your hand can be considered menacing.
179th APS
OEF Veteran