Knives in school

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

nckheinrich

Knives in school

Post by nckheinrich »

So I'm hanging out in the veterans office at college and I'm seeing everyone carrying a knife... It was my assumption this was illeagle. Is it that they haven't got caught or just nobody cares?
Multiple firearms is not an arsenal... it's an investment.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Knives in school

Post by TSiWRX »

nckheinrich wrote:... just nobody cares?
Bingo.

That is, until they do care. Look at what happened to our own Michael Porschein.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I carry a small penknife with me in school all the time, I doubt anyone will try to prosecute me for a tiny 1 1/2" blade. I will carry a larger assisted open knife when I stop back after school or any other time. I'm not concerned about being illegal or anything like that.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

I legitimately need a knife to open boxes. Masking tape is for real stronger then a Tiger on some of these boxes I have to open.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
soldier24

Post by soldier24 »

I always carry a SOG in my pocket. its a tool not a dangerous weapon.
Army * Infantry
Iraq 2006-2007
--------------------------
XD-s .45
CZ 75 P-07 -carry gun
XD .45
Kel tec pf9
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

I know at least half of the students in my class carry knives to school (engineering at Akron). It's actually a bit uncommon NOT to see a Leatherman pouch on a belt or a folder clipped in a pants pocket.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Michael Porschien

Post by Michael Porschien »

Unfortunately because of how screwy knife laws are in OH, the cops have the ability to charge you on any number of offenses at any point they choose to. it would be up to you, in a courtroom, to defend your possession of a knife, usually by affirmative defense or the "its not a deadly weapon" argument. in either case, be aware you are probably breaking some law, somewhere.

Then again, i still carry by backup Gerber, too. Those boxes aren't gonna open themselves. And i like my sandwiches cut crossways.
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

I really wish we could get preemption on knife laws in Ohio.

I wonder what chance a bill would have that redefined an OLTCACH as a Concealed Weapons License which included knives that also had a clause in it to add knives and cutting instruments to the firearm preemption would have. If you do it in one bill it may have a better chance...
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ That's been my thinking, too.
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

Michael Porschien wrote:Unfortunately because of how screwy knife laws are in OH, the cops have the ability to charge you on any number of offenses at any point they choose to. it would be up to you, in a courtroom, to defend your possession of a knife, usually by affirmative defense or the "its not a deadly weapon" argument. in either case, be aware you are probably breaking some law, somewhere.

Then again, i still carry by backup Gerber, too. Those boxes aren't gonna open themselves. And i like my sandwiches cut crossways.
OMG there will be blood in the streets. People will have that undeniable urge to just go around stabbing people. Look at what happened in china where that guy stabbed 30+ children... You must be so sort a fringe lunatic to want to carry around such a dangerous thing (having a hard time keeping a straight face).

If nothing else... The gun debate is pointing out just how ridiculous so many of our laws actually are. This is what happens when people try to use laws to prevent crimes instead of punish crimes.
Life without music is a mistake.
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

IMO the problem with expanding the CHL to include knives is that it means people need a license to carry a knife. :evil:

To the OP: if a knife is a weapon, it is illegal, especially if concealed. Carrying it openly improves the legality but increase the opportunity to be hassled.

If a knife is a "tool", then it is not illegal. "Tool" or "weapon", that is the issue. Ohio law does make certain types of knives illegal.

Myself, I always carry a pocket knife. We have horses and sometimes I need one to cut hay bale strings, but mine has been used in a couple of emergency situations where a horse became tangled in a rope. You can't plan those instances ahead, therefore I always have it with me. My knife is a tool.

Ken
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

OhioPaints wrote:IMO the problem with expanding the CHL to include knives is that it means people need a license to carry a knife. :evil:
Agreed - I had not thought of it that way before, so thank you for bringing that up. :)

Maybe certain types of knives, then? Or maybe "concealed carry of knives?"
To the OP: if a knife is a weapon, it is illegal, especially if concealed. Carrying it openly improves the legality but increase the opportunity to be hassled.

If a knife is a "tool", then it is not illegal. "Tool" or "weapon", that is the issue. Ohio law does make certain types of knives illegal.

Myself, I always carry a pocket knife. We have horses and sometimes I need one to cut hay bale strings, but mine has been used in a couple of emergency situations where a horse became tangled in a rope. You can't plan those instances ahead, therefore I always have it with me. My knife is a tool.
The problem, though, is that it's hard to debate the semantics of what's a tool and what's not, when your face is against the hood of the police cruiser. That's a game that's going to be played once your lawyer gets involved.

Similarly, concealment is also a touchy subject. Whether an exposed pocket-clip makes the knife "openly displayed" is again something that's probably not going to matter much, when the officer is interviewing you on the side of the street. This is all the more dangerous say, if one day, the shirt/outerwear you're wearing managed to just cover up the knife which you may otherwise always have the clip displayed.

Combine all of this with the differences in how one municipality may have their knife laws written versus one that's just a township over, and it's a real mess.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

My knife is a tool, until someone in authority, i.e. in law enforcement, decides it is simply a knife.

Having said that, I confess that I carried a knife through high school, through college, and at every job I ever worked, whether it was permitted or not ( on two jobs, I wrote the prohibitions on possession of weapons, knives, etc. I may have been a hypocrite, but clearly I was not unarmed.) Because I enforced the work rules, no one ever thought to ask me if I had a knife on me.

I grew up in what was known as the knife culture, on the near East Side of Cleveland. Even as a retiree, I have 4 on my desk. Of course, they are all tools, e.g. letter openers...