details, audio, and questions regarding my open carry case

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: details, audio, and questions regarding my open carry ca

Post by Werz »

TunnelRat wrote:
Michael Porschien wrote: In the meantime, i'm holding off organizing any walks or other events to avoid angering the judges. There'll be plenty of time for that in the spring, methinks. Also, it's been bitter cold in Youngstown these past 2-3 weeks.
Open carry isn't quite so noticeable when you're open carrying under a parka... 8)
That's been my thought, too. Everybody keeps talking about a prompt open carry walk. The only way you can do that in this weather is to strap a pistol belt over your winter coat and end up looking like Soviet Militsiya. :roll:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

Well, there's always the drop-thigh tactical holster.
:mrgreen:
whoownsyou
Account Deactivated

Post by whoownsyou »

Michael Porschien wrote:My hope is that my story will serve as a counter-argument to the assurances of others - that if you cooperate you will not be harassed further or charged
I've only just seen your arrest, but I wanted to take a moment to say thank you for this quote. Even on our side of the fence, we have people that believe you can close your eyes and wish away the ills of the world. I won't speculate as to whether flexing your rights would have spared you this or not, but they may have taken your uncertainty, admission of being "first time" and such as an invitation to coerce you. They take a couple hours to nail you down and then they walk away. You have to deal with this for months and in the end, regardless of outcome, will be less likely to open carry (their mindset). In other words, there is little incentive for them to be decent if they really care or want people to not open carry.

I haven't yet familiarized myself with the entirety of your arrest. I just wanted to say that you are a good choice for being in the situation you are in. I simply mean that there are those that would say "just get a concealed license and conceal it." They don't think about those who just can't. Nor should anybody have to. You weren't hurting anybody and they're going out of their way to hit you with whatever they can. That sucks. That's no way to say welcome to Ohio nor is it any way to encourage a young mind to focus on their education and move on to being a valuable member of society.

I'm glad you were able to record some of it. And that the video remained intact. There are streaming services/apps that make it so that even if they destroyed your phone in a zealous attempt to hide their treacherous behavior, the video stream would survive. There's also cheap spy cameras you can get like pen cams and such that you could have on your person that they might not realize was a camera. As far as I know, Ohio is a single party state. Meaning that so long as you're party to the conversation you're recording, it is legal to do so even without notifying the other parties or securing their consent. While you're working with a lawyer, I'd double check on that just to be safe.

After all, if they're going to whip out jaywalking, all bets are off.
"If you can get the cows to attack each other whenever anybody brings up the reality of their situation, then you don't have to spend nearly as much controlling them directly." -Stefan Molyneux

"Most of what I do can be summed up by: I go around telling people that they should be free and they tell me, 'No, I shouldn't.'" -Larken Rose
Michael Porschien

Post by Michael Porschien »

whoownsyou wrote: After all, if they're going to whip out jaywalking, all bets are off.
Lol. i said much the same thing to my attorney the first time we sat down to talk about my case. "J-walking, really!?" Even though, yes, the crime i was accused of was not technically J-walking, and though, yes, they openly admitted i never committed the crime, it was still a slap in the face, a wake up call towards their desperation to find Some reason to penalize me for using my rights.

I wanted to thank you for your support, and tell you that you are welcome for the quote. It is, i think, ironic, that i did not realize the debate as to whether to comply or flex was such a hot issue, and that my exact case was flaunted as what you should do to AVOID getting in trouble, until after i had already proved them wrong by complying and getting arrested anyway. As the faithful butler from that movie nobody saw once said, "Some people just want to watch the world burn." There are good cops out there. Somewhere. Potentially under a rock, or a rainbow, but they exist. I hope. For the rest of them, your actions, at least in my opinion, have very little impact on their decisions. By the time they say "hello!" they have already made up their minds, and the only thing you can do to dissuade them is to force them to recognize your power to hurt them in court later.
whoownsyou
Account Deactivated

Post by whoownsyou »

Michael Porschien wrote:As the faithful butler from that movie nobody saw once said, "Some people just want to watch the world burn."
Michael Caine, The Dark Knight 8) I love when movies take not one, but two honest looks at humanity despite it not at all being the primary engagement of the film.

It is a touchy subject for a number of reasons. The hardest part is that you have no way of knowing who it is you're dealing with. It might be somebody who's made up their mind. It might be somebody that would be proud to know he's serving a community of the resolute. It might be somebody that views it only as doing their job, but takes the flexing of rights as antagonization. The thing to keep in mind regardless is that unless you're harming another person or infringing on the rights on another, you've done nothing to deserve being put into a position where your REactions (not your actions) could make the difference between being permitted to go about your life, or having to stop on a dime and deal with an uncomfortable situation that they placed upon you.

The upside is that such occurrences opens up a dialogue that we all can engage in about what we consider to be crimes and reasons to stop human beings against their will. Just keep in mind that there are some people out there so beholden to the myth that human authority is infallible that the very opening of such a dialogue causes them to act irrationally and indeed, aggressively to protect the only world view they know. Hopefully as time goes on and we share ideas with one another, we can come up with ways to help awaken such individuals without there being too much collateral damage.
"If you can get the cows to attack each other whenever anybody brings up the reality of their situation, then you don't have to spend nearly as much controlling them directly." -Stefan Molyneux

"Most of what I do can be summed up by: I go around telling people that they should be free and they tell me, 'No, I shouldn't.'" -Larken Rose