Knoxville TN OCer gets apology from police

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fisher

Knoxville TN OCer gets apology from police

Post by fisher »

OCer wrongly detained and searched, but here is the strange part:
He (the officer)told Internal Affairs investigators he thought Tennessee and Ohio, where he previously served as a police officer, prohibited open carrying. Neither state does.

http://knoxnews.com/news/2007/sep/22/gu ... s-apology/
dngreer

Post by dngreer »

I'm glad to see the police act professional and apologize when they realized they were wrong. Too many people have the idea it's the LEOs verus the citizens. LEOs work for the citizens, and everyone on the "good" side should remember we are on the same side. Unfortunately, a few loose cannon LEOs can give law enforcement a bad name. +1 to Knoxville PD!
Protect and exercise our 2nd amendment rights before we have none to protect or exercise.
airdog714

Post by airdog714 »

Yes, the apology was a nice touch,(but you know me) I think it was more for damage control than anything else.

An apology is a lot cheaper than a law suit, and most law suits happen when the party in the wrong refuses to apologize.

Great PR on the Chiefs part.

airdog
The Goverment cannot give the people anything until they have taken it from the people first.
dngreer

Post by dngreer »

I agree, it was damage control in a way. Sometimes law suits are in order, but if the police department realizes the officer was wrong, apologizes for the actions of the officer, and no physical or financial damage was incured by the arrest, I think there is no need for legal action. If the department continues to violate OC rights, then it might be wise to consider legal action, but I believe a law suit should be the last option used. OCers must be careful to not get "law suit happy" and get the reputation of just being out looking for trouble or trying to find excuses to get some easy money from a legal settlement.
Protect and exercise our 2nd amendment rights before we have none to protect or exercise.
jacksnack

Post by jacksnack »

Trevor Putnam knew the gun laws. The officer who stopped him didn’t.
Surprise! :lol:
survive1999

Post by survive1999 »

“When I told him that I hadn’t done anything, he said he’d find a reason to put me in jail,”

That sentence alone would have been enough for me to sue them, several times.
Hazard

Post by Hazard »

survive1999 wrote:“When I told him that I hadn’t done anything, he said he’d find a reason to put me in jail,”

That sentence alone would have been enough for me to sue them, several times.
i didnt read the article and was going to post about how i think we are too sue happy as a society, until i read your post.

talk about a 180 degree change in thougts
i would want that guys badge taken away (well, actually i do right now.. and im not the victim!)
and go ahead and sue, not for some huge number, just enough to put them in their place... although the number is probably up to your lawyer.