Open carry in License Bureau, almost..

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

makdaddy

Open carry in License Bureau, almost..

Post by makdaddy »

All this talk of OC'ing is starting to get to me. Had to get a title put into my name this morning to I went up to the license place at Morse/Karl. Big sign prohibiting concealed carry weapons, of course. I had already left the Kahr in my van, but when I saw that sign I felt something go right up my spine and I ALMOST went back for the Kahr to open carry it right on in there. It sure was tempting. I can imagine the response the security guy would have had, in fact that's what stopped me. "That guy'll freak out"... My time is coming though, I can feel it..
If waterboarding was a sexual preference, it would be taught in public schools.
mauser

Re: Open carry in License Bureau, almost..

Post by mauser »

makdaddy wrote: I can imagine the response the security guy would have had, in fact that's what stopped me. "That guy'll freak out"... My time is coming though, I can feel it..
Your license bureau has a security guard? Do they get held up often for metal plates and foil stickers?
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
makdaddy

Post by makdaddy »

This was the place where they actually print the titles, not just a registrar who sells the stickers and license plates.
BIG SHAFE

Post by BIG SHAFE »

Aren't all firearms OC'd or CC'd illegal to carry there?
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

We have a local deputy registrar that was held up twice....

The owner traded shots with the BG's on the second visit.

I wish I'd saved the newspaper picture of the hole in the glass door next to the GB sign....

I don't go there anymore....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Timmy44221

Post by Timmy44221 »

BIG SHAFE wrote:Aren't all firearms OC'd or CC'd illegal to carry there?

Its kinda like in Virginia, where you cannot CC in a bar/resteraunt, but OC is legal.

Presumably, most of the prohibited places are only CC prohibited, leaving OC legal... But unlike the VCDL, it doesnt seem we are brave enough to do this.
mauser

Post by mauser »

Our local Title Registrar is in the Court House.
"a CHL license is either a "license" or a "permit," but you'd never call a CHL your "balogney pony." It's pretty far out there."
--VEX
makdaddy

Post by makdaddy »

mauser wrote:Our local Title Registrar is in the Court House.
This one is in a strip mall on the north side of town, 4 doors from a deputy registrar. Instead of the registrar sending the paperwork downtown to get your new title, you can just hand carry it and get it done fast. Ohio Clerk of Courts Auto Title Office, not the same as a deputy registrar where you get your tags or stickers.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

makdaddy wrote:Ohio Clerk of Courts Auto Title Office
Actually run by Franklin County Clerk of Courts.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Most "License Bureaus" here in OH are "Deputy Registrars".

It's my understanding that they are posted because somebody at the BMV ordered it, rather than any other reason....

(They are private contractors....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

SMMAssociates wrote:Most "License Bureaus" here in OH are "Deputy Registrars".

It's my understanding that they are posted because somebody at the BMV ordered it, rather than any other reason....

(They are private contractors....)

Regards,
That's correct, I chased down someone in Columbus in the BMV's legal department and found out that the BMV had added a requirement for all deputy registrars to post the gun buster sign in their contracts. Since the D.R. contracts are on a three year rotation, by now all all BMV locations are posted.

By the way, the lawyer I talked to was the one that drew up the contract under instructions of someone higher up (in Taft's admininstration). He wouldn't/couldn't tell me why it was felt necessary to post the D.R.s.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

AlanM:

They may have interpreted the "state business" thing this way. But my guess is that Shaft decided to cover whatever he could....

Shafted again.... :evil:

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
makdaddy

Post by makdaddy »

Just to make this clear, because now I'm confused, the place that prints out your new title is not a deputy registrar. I go to the deputy registrar and buy stickers, plates, cute little "I heart The Buckeyes" license plate frames, and the nuts and bolts to attach it to my car. If I use a deputy registrar to get a new title, they sell me a 30 day tag, and send off the paperwork to the state of ohio, who prints the title and sends it back to the deputy registrar. Then I go pick up my title.

The place mentioned in the original post was the actual state office that prints the title. They don't sell stickers or plates, or plate frames or anything else, they do the titles. The deputy registrar that I go to has a GB sign, but it's the standard "gun with a slash" kind of sign. (which means NO guns, concealed or otherwise) The title office I went to had a large sign, no pictures, that stated "Concealed carry weapons are prohibited" (or something very close to that. Not the usual gunbuster sign. (which means to me, open carry allowed, as in a state park restroom) It's a Clerk Of Courts Title Office, as opposed to a deputy registrar. There is a deputy registrar 4 doors down though, making it kind of a one stop shopping thing.

Just wanting to avoid confusion. I live with confusion most of the day, so any chance to avoid it is a welcome thing.. :)

It's a moot point at any rate. I chickened out and didn't open carry.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

makdaddy:

I think the BMV office you're talking about (without the "picture" on the sign) is a State Office. Probably a "no-carry at all" as an Enumerated CPZ.

The Deputy Registrars are contractors. CPZ's because the BMV blissninnies so demanded.

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
makdaddy

Post by makdaddy »

Yep, it's a state office, but the sign was specific to concealed carry, which intimates that open carry is ok.
I'll go take another look this weekend and get the exact wording, but it specifically stated that 'concealed carry' was prohibited. I expected the standard "CPZ' sign, s was surprised to see the CC prohibition.