Open Carry Under 21 (Handgun)

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xb0210

Open Carry Under 21 (Handgun)

Post by xb0210 »

Hello I am a 20 year old that lives around Columbus Ohio I lived in a state for little over a year were you can buy handguns at 18 from a private seller. Now I have open carried my handgun in Ohio plenty since I moved back but I was wondering how law enforcement would react here to me being under 21 while carrying a handgun. I have dived very deep into Ohio and federal law on this issue and I know I can legally posses and carry it here but I was wondering if law enforcement would realize that.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Open Carry Under 21 (Handgun)

Post by JustaShooter »

It's going to depend on the officer and how they were trained and how much they actually know about Ohio firearms law (you might be surprised at how little most of them actually know about the details). Most likely you'll be treated as well as a person over 21 openly carrying, and the fact you are in the Columbus area is actually a good thing since as I understand it, they understand that open carry is legal and don't tend to harass people exercising their right.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Welcome! (Shame on JustaShooter for his bad manners! :lol: )

Anyhow, pre smart phone me would have said "Carry printed copies of the appropriate section of the Ohio Revised Code with you." Now, just store them in your phone, in case you encounter an ignorant or willfully ignorant police officer in your travels.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Brian D. wrote:Welcome! (Shame on JustaShooter for his bad manners! :lol: )

Anyhow, pre smart phone me would have said "Carry printed copies of the appropriate section of the Ohio Revised Code with you." Now, just store them in your phone, in case you encounter an ignorant or willfully ignorant police officer in your travels.
Or post-smart phone me (who fully expects my phone to die the ONE TIME I really need it !!) would also keep a copy of the pertinent ORC section in my wallet in your wallet, in case you encounter, etc., etc......
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

A belated welcome to you, xb0210.
Brian D. wrote:Anyhow, pre smart phone me would have said "Carry printed copies of the appropriate section of the Ohio Revised Code with you." Now, just store them in your phone, in case you encounter an ignorant or willfully ignorant police officer in your travels.
I'm curious which sections you would include? The ability for a person under 21 to legally possess a handgun they acquired legally in another state is not specifically stated in the ORC that I know of. It's the lack of a prohibition that says it is legal (that which is not prohibited is permitted, after all.)
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
xb0210

Post by xb0210 »

JustaShooter wrote:
Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

A belated welcome to you, xb0210.
Brian D. wrote:Anyhow, pre smart phone me would have said "Carry printed copies of the appropriate section of the Ohio Revised Code with you." Now, just store them in your phone, in case you encounter an ignorant or willfully ignorant police officer in your travels.
I'm curious which sections you would include? The ability for a person under 21 to legally possess a handgun they acquired legally in another state is not specifically stated in the ORC that I know of. It's the lack of a prohibition that says it is legal (that which is not prohibited is permitted, after all.)

That's what I have thought about there is no ORC I could even quote and thank you for the welcome!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

When that is the case, and you know it, ask any LEO who stops and challenges you to explain exactly why. I maintain that it is helpful to have relevant sections of the ORC at hand. Won't recount the incident (again!) but it's worked for me.

********************************************************************************
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Brian, I must disagree with you on this one. Not about JustaShooter’s manners, LOL. But I’m of the thought that you don’t argue law with a police officer. Time and a place, the place to argue the law is in the courthouse or statehouse. Set precedent and make an impact.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Well, there's educational back and forth discussion, and then there's arguing. I'd like to think my encounters have been of the former kind.

docachna

Post by docachna »

Brian D. wrote:Well, there's educational back and forth discussion, and then there's arguing. I'd like to think my encounters have been of the former kind.
Having been on BOTH sides of that sort of encounter, it's really hard to keep your cool when you know the cop is full of s*it. Some cops (not all) will react favorably to a calm, unemotional, rationally set-out recitation of the law, as it applies to the current situation. Some won't. Problem is, once you find out they're among the latter, it may already be too late.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

As yet I haven't been put in the silver bracelets, perp walked into the Graybar Hotel, or dressed in a county issued jumpsuit. Some combination of brains and natural charm, perhaps. :lol: I've got a recent story of a traffic stop in northern Kentucky that would have been great to tell at our Picnic, if we'd had one.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I tend to agree with Brian, it's worth a civil discussion to try to educate the officer, and failing that, asking for them to contact the supervisor can also help. It sure beats the alternative of saying nothing and virtually guaranteeing getting cuffed & stuffed.
NRA Life Member

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Well, the OP never came back to this forum to say how things were going (three posts and done with us) and now he'd be 21 years old anyway.