Open carry info requested

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dingode

Open carry info requested

Post by dingode »

I normally wear an IWB holster and conceal carry, so I don't have to worry about the general public (liberals and similar ilk) seeing my gun and freaking out. Mostly, I don't like advertising that I'm armed. With winter being here, though, I'd like to use some of my OWB holsters. It will still be pretty concealed as it'll be covered by an untucked shirt or jacket. But, the OWB holster means I stand a better chance of being spotted, and therein lies my questions for those of you that OC on a regular basis.

I kind of have an idea of what to expect to happen if the gun is seen and the police are called. Still, I'd like to hear what your experiences are and how you handled them. I'm sure the way the police act probably varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and no matter what, the best response is to follow orders 100% until it is established by them that you are not a threat. Comply first, complain later is a good way to keep things calm IMHO.

What I am even more interested in is how the general public has responded to seeing a gun. I'm sure that some of you have had crazy experiences and those are what I think I should be aware of the most. I live in Toledo and it's flush with liberal democrats, so anything is possible here if the gun is spotted.

Thanks in advance for any advice and experiences that you can offer up.
Brian D.

Re: Open carry info requested

Post by Brian D. »

Good morning. Mostly, people won't notice. You can thank cell phone addiction for a large part of that. I'll leave a more complete answer to those who OC regularly.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Jspit

Post by Jspit »

I’m in Toledo also. My experience in seeing others is that most people either don’t notice or ignore it. If the weapon is holstered in a proper holster and you are simply engaged in normal activities people seem to not care a lot. Places I’ve noticed flashes of weapon or holsters are typically in lines at lunch spots. I don’t know what other people think they see, maybe it’s just natural threat assessment, (the guy ordering a foot long ham club sub is not particularly dangerous looking).
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

As others have stated , don't expect much to happen.
I , like many on this forum, OC and there's very little stink made because we do it.
You might be suprised to get an occasional thumbs up from a passers by or a dirty look from an anti, but that's about it.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

I have open carried a full size 9mm in Ohio for 8 years. Zero negative encounters...
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Meatwad

Post by Meatwad »

Also in Toledo. I've had my XDM40 4.5" on my hip many times and have only noticed 4 people ever give it more than a glance. Each time has been a non-issue and I'm in my mid-30s (for another week) and had the wife and kids in-tow. It is entirely about perception. If you don't look like you are wearing it to get a reaction or portray someone's idea of what a criminal looks like, you're fine unless someone is just 100% gun-dumb.
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

Also in Toledo.

I have been open carrying since the early 70s, mostly a 1911, and usually the only comments I have gotten have been from police, "Your hammer's back!" :shock: , to which I reply, "I hope so, it's a 1911, it has to be back to engage the safety!" :roll: , which only seems to confuse them even more. :lol:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
dingode

Post by dingode »

Thanks for all the replies and advice. It looks like I don't have too much to worry about.