Meijer- CCW Policy

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Meijer- CCW Policy

Post by JustaShooter »

kcclark wrote:BearingArms.com writer John Petrolino shares the responses and lack of responses he got from Meijer.

https://bearingarms.com/john-petrolino/ ... ned-n57370
Looks like he missed that they were putting the new signs up well in advance of Ohio's permitless carry legislation passing. Regardless, typical of a woke anti-gun corporate response.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

In my case the closest Meijer to me is in Indiana and allegedly the no guns sign do not have any force of law, so technically if I kept it well concealed them asking me to leave won't be an issue anyway. Still, why reward them with $$$ they don't have anything that I can't get somewhere else, and their prices aren't that great, even their sale prices. The problem is they might as well say mass shooters are welcome here. It makes about as much sense as putting out a plate of food and expecting flies not to show up. :( There have been at least 2 cases where the police had documented in writing evidence that the mass shooters chose their target based on it being a no guns zone. There has probably been more cases but the shooter didn't come right out and say or write it beforehand like those 2 cases. If Meijer is truly interested in the safety of all their customers they would've taken that into consideration. :(

Some anti gunners think concealed carriers go around with some fantasy of wanting an excuse to shoot criminals, like a vigilante or something. I can assure you that I'm not that way. Just because I'm prepared for something doesn't mean I want to shop in an environment where some nutcase will think everyone is a helpless victim, start something, and I am forced to shoot them, in fact exactly the opposite. This is what could potentially happen if someone were to shop there. I hope Meijer never experiences a tragedy but if they do they might be encouraging it with their policy, and hopes and wishes do not stop murderers. :(
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Quigley,
I'm in the same spot, where Indiana shopping happens frequently.

I've noticed that Wally World politely asks that nobody carry in a lengthy sentence on a sign between the enter an exit doors.

I think I recall Kroger being similar to Meijer with stickers.
Not a lot of larger chains going our way on this.

My family enjoys using pickup services for speed and convenience (and I don't want to bring my kids in - as you say - in case of trouble finding us).

I don't blame anyone who exercises the conviction of their conscience with a boycott - be that Dockers, Disney, WM, Meijer, Kroger, (plenty of corporations have earned a boycott), etc. -- I just don't understand the eagerness to vote for people like Trump in the same breath.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

bignflnut wrote:I've noticed that Wally World politely asks that nobody carry in a lengthy sentence on a sign between the enter an exit doors.
Around here (and I expect everywhere) the Wally World signs politely ask folks not to open carry, and are silent on concealed carry, which is consistent with their current corporate policy.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

bignflnut wrote:

I think I recall Kroger being similar to Meijer with stickers.
No, not for years. Kroger corporate posted in 2005, right after Ohio legalized licensed concealed carry. Back then they knee jerked and put up signs, but OFCC and similar groups flooded them with negative emails to the point their computer server crashed three times in about a week. One of their IT honchos (a pro gun friend) told me the command staff quickly realized they'd stepped on their own schwantzes and relented.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

...groups flooded them with negative emails to the point their computer server crashed three times in about a week. One of their IT honchos (a pro gun friend) told me the command staff quickly realized they'd stepped on their own schwantzes and relented.
By comparison it certainly seems it's a ''kindler gentler'' approach to...giving them a card will supposedly garner the same results :P :P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote:
bignflnut wrote:I've noticed that Wally World politely asks that nobody carry in a lengthy sentence on a sign between the enter an exit doors.
Around here (and I expect everywhere) the Wally World signs politely ask folks not to open carry, and are silent on concealed carry, which is consistent with their current corporate policy.
This issue of Meijer putting up signs caused me to recheck the entrances of the nearest Walmart and Kroger. No signs that I noticed at Kroger and just like you said, Walmart asks people to please not openly carry. This is a rural area though and I've very occasionally seen people openly carry handguns in holsters in both stores. They all tend to be older folks. If anyone cares they're not showing it. I think the whole issue of openly carrying, in my area at least, was a big nothing burger before those incidents out west of a few people openly carrying a rifle in the store. :roll:
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

WhyNot wrote:
...groups flooded them with negative emails to the point their computer server crashed three times in about a week. One of their IT honchos (a pro gun friend) told me the command staff quickly realized they'd stepped on their own schwantzes and relented.
By comparison it certainly seems it's a ''kindler gentler'' approach to...giving them a card will supposedly garner the same results :P :P
Giving them a card probably won't garner the same results as I suspect that most of the time the employee (or even manager) receiving the card will just toss it.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Roller
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Roller »

Today I again sent a protest to Meijer about their prohibiting concealed carry in their stores. This is the reply I received.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Meijer.

I do apologize for your recent experience regarding the Concealed Weapon & Open Carry Policy. Providing a positive customer experience is a priority at Meijer and I would like to thank you for taking the time to communicate your concern. If we plan to succeed in the future, we depend on our customers to provide us with their honest feedback.

The safety of our customers and team members is our top priority, so we respectfully request that our customers do not open carry firearms at Meijer. We've made this decision because open carry can create an environment that makes our customers and team members feel unsafe.

Signs were added to our front doors to better convey our corporate policy which asks customers to not open carry firearms in our stores. While we respect the protected rights of all our customers and team members, we want to ensure a shopping environment that is safe and welcoming for everyone.

Our team members and customers are concerned about the open carry of firearms in our stores. We respect the protected rights of all our customers, this request is to help make sure all our customers feel safe while shopping.

I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. We appreciate your business.

If you have questions please reference case number 02300101 and contact Meijer Customer Care at 1-877-E-MEIJER (1-877-363-4537).

Sincerely,

Kendra
Meijer Customer Care

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first time I have seen Meijer posting specifically against open carry. I replied to them that the signs that they posted specifically prohibiting all carrying of weapons. Maybe we are making some progress.

In the meantime I sent letters to my local Meijer store and corporate headquarters informing them that they lost $1435.55 in the past two months because of the business I took elsewhere.
Stay safe; Check 360
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

That is positive about them finally stating open carry. We can get to the meat of their policy.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Roller wrote:Today I again sent a protest to Meijer about their prohibiting concealed carry in their stores. This is the reply I received.

<snip>

This is the first time I have seen Meijer posting specifically against open carry. I replied to them that the signs that they posted specifically prohibiting all carrying of weapons. Maybe we are making some progress.

In the meantime I sent letters to my local Meijer store and corporate headquarters informing them that they lost $1435.55 in the past two months because of the business I took elsewhere.
Their original policy was no open carry, and when the signs went up the first letter I saw started like yours with "no open carry" but later in the same letter said "no firearms" at all. Then , I saw one that said "no firearms" at all throughout the letter. Now, we are back to "no open carry" but for that to actually be the case at the stores, the signs still need to change.

Thank you for fighting them on this, perhaps you are making progress - I certainly hope so - not for me, I'm not sure they have a store anywhere near me, but for the rest of the law-abiding gun community.
NRA Life Member

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Sorry but I'm not buying it. Meijer isn't some small mom & pop store, they have corporate lawyers and they know (or should know) that the no guns graphic means no guns period, not merely open carry. OTOH, lets take them at their word that they really are that ignorant about the meaning of the stickers. If someone had that letter with them, would that be a defense if one were stopped or questioned should it be inadvertently discovered someone was concealed carrying in their store?
OTOH, why should someone have to carry a copy of that letter around anyway? Why not just take the stickers down and if they truly mean they don't want open carry put up a sign that says that so there is no confusion. (Walmart did)
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

All this was on Shooting From the Hip radio show today Dayton 95.7FM. Right at the 40minute mark 240/pm.

Nothing was mentioned though, about this supposed change or 'clarification.'
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

WhyNot wrote:All this was on Shooting From the Hip radio show today Dayton 95.7FM. Right at the 40minute mark 240/pm.

Nothing was mentioned though, about this supposed change or 'clarification.'
Thanks for the info. I couldn't listen live yesterday but ! just now d/l' d the podcast. I think I heard it mentioned on Columbus's WTVN's LEPD gun store's radio show last Saturday also. 4/16/22
docachna

Post by docachna »

M-Quigley wrote:Sorry but I'm not buying it. Meijer isn't some small mom & pop store, they have corporate lawyers and they know (or should know) that the no guns graphic means no guns period, not merely open carry. OTOH, lets take them at their word that they really are that ignorant about the meaning of the stickers. If someone had that letter with them, would that be a defense if one were stopped or questioned should it be inadvertently discovered someone was concealed carrying in their store? ........
A point that will be very expensive for you to make if you get charged. Fine if local store mgmt or local LEO buy into your point.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE