CPZ sign - force of law ?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

docachna

CPZ sign - force of law ?

Post by docachna »

Been away from Ohio for too long, and my memory isn't infallible. Coming back up in a week, and I want to make sure I'm on solid ground.

"No Guns" signs - do they have the force of law in OH ? If I'm asked to leave, I'll certainly do that, but my big concern is if I'm forced to display or use the weapon inside a CPZ, and what happens then. Is that an automatic charge after LE shows up for ignoring the sign (trespass, etc.), or must I first be requested to leave ?

(I know you STILL haven't gotten rid of that damned notification statute, so I won't even bother asking about that ! Nice being in TN where notification has long been a thing of the past. Matter of fact, I don't know that it's EVER been the law here...)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CPZ sign - force of law ?

Post by JustaShooter »

"No Guns" signs have the force of law in Ohio. You are guilty of Criminal Trespass if you knowingly carry past a conspicuously posted sign, even without being asked to leave. And, "knowingly" doesn't give you a pass to turn a blind eye to signage - if a reasonable person would have seen it, you are expected to as well.

As to being charged if you have to display or use the handgun, well, that's a different matter entirely. It wouldn't be automatic, but I could see some LEOs doing so - but, likely only at the direction of the owner or manager in most cases though. And that depends on the owner and/or manager.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter explained it accurately. This part of the Ohio Revised Code contains weasel wording, wiggle room, and gray area. So does the case law when folks get into such situations.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Brian D. wrote:JustaShooter explained it accurately. This part of the Ohio Revised Code contains weasel wording, wiggle room, and gray area. So does the case law when folks get into such situations.
That's about what I was dimly remembering, but I don't like being uncertain. Thx to all.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE