Michigan NO GUN zones Bill

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Michigan NO GUN zones Bill

Post by qmti »

State Rep. Gary Eisen, R-St. Clair Township, introduced House Bill 4975, which would revoke governmental immunity from lawsuits arising from injuries sustained on government property where guns are banned. Eisen is also the sponsor of House Bill 4976, which would make a government, business or individual that designates a property a gun-free zone responsible for the safety of individuals who enter it.

Eisen said the intention was to require a business or government that enforces a gun-free policy to take responsibility through measures like hiring security guards.

“I have to presume that no one will have a gun inside and I will be safe,” Eisen said. “They are telling me, ‘Don’t worry, Mr. Eisen, this is a gun-free zone. You’ll be perfectly safe in here.’ We know that is not the case.”

Eisen said by not allowing him to carry a gun, government and companies that declare their property a gun-free zone could be held liable under his bills.

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/10/0 ... -injuries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wasn't there a bill in Tennessee that was like this and does anyone know if it was enacted?
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Michigan NO GUN zones Bill

Post by AzRanger »

qmti wrote:State Rep. Gary Eisen, R-St. Clair Township, introduced House Bill 4975, which would revoke governmental immunity from lawsuits arising from injuries sustained on government property where guns are banned. Eisen is also the sponsor of House Bill 4976, which would make a government, business or individual that designates a property a gun-free zone responsible for the safety of individuals who enter it.

Eisen said the intention was to require a business or government that enforces a gun-free policy to take responsibility through measures like hiring security guards.

“I have to presume that no one will have a gun inside and I will be safe,” Eisen said. “They are telling me, ‘Don’t worry, Mr. Eisen, this is a gun-free zone. You’ll be perfectly safe in here.’ We know that is not the case.”

Eisen said by not allowing him to carry a gun, government and companies that declare their property a gun-free zone could be held liable under his bills.

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/10/0 ... -injuries/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wasn't there a bill in Tennessee that was like this and does anyone know if it was enacted?

Good for him!! I hope this gets through! 8)
God made man, Colt made them equal
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

You asked about Tennessee, businesses can be posted, but liability is on the business owner if you get hurt as a result.

T.C.A. § 39-17-1359 (D)
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

What a crock. Unless it is a government building and the person has no choice but to go there then they and they alone are solely responsible for their own actions. They knew the risks yet they choose to enter anyway.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.