What do YOU do when you see CPZ sign?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

What do YOU do when you see CPZ sign?

Post by sd790 »

There are a few things we can choose to do when we encounter a gunbuster/cpz sign on a door or window of a business.

1. Ignore it and go in. In Ohio, this is illegal and we should not do this.

2. Disarm and leave our firearm in our car, then go in and spend our money there.

3. Leave and not give them our business.

4. Disarm, go into the business and tell them why you will NOT be spending your hard-earned money there.

5. Leave and send them an email about their sign.

Personally, i have done 2-5 depending on the situation. I just recently went to Germain Honda in Dublin to buy a new car - my fist in 15 years, and saw that they were posted. I disarmed, went in and told the sales manager why he lost my business. I went to another non-CPZ in Marysville and bought my car. I followed up with an email to the general manager of the dealership but got no response after a month. I then contacted my good friend who is in a VERY high position with Honda and asked him to help me escalate it. He passed it to the National Sales manager for follow-up but thinks that it's mostly up to the individual dealer and they won't want to force national policy. We'll see.

I guess my point of this thread is to see what YOU are doing to get rid of CPZ's. Is it annoying enough to you that you say something or do you just stay quiet? I believe that if we speak up, it does help. I've been able to convince several businesses to remove them and will continue to try.

What are positive examples of your response to CPZ's?
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
ArmedAviator

Re: What do YOU do when you see CPZ sign?

Post by ArmedAviator »

Option 3.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Option 4 generally, the wife and I carry OFCC "No Guns = No Money" cards and one of us will disarm and give one to the manager or owner and attempt to educate them about the ineffectiveness of the sign.

If I'm pressed for time, then option 3.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Option 3. Being in retail over 38 years I know that when a sign is posted at a chain of stores it comes from corporate. Upper management is usually urban and liberal based. No changing their views or corporate lawyers. Smaller establishments can be talked to with some results.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

#6 Take it down if no one is looking....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

carmen fovozzo wrote:#6 Take it down if no one is looking....
:mrgreen:
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I used to put in a lot of effort attempting to change minds. Now I'll only do that if the signs are newly hung up.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

#1, unless it's a felony.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

I just turn and burn.

Unfortunately option 4 is probably the most productive, but I generally don't have the time and I can be lazy too at times. Maybe as our numbers grow these people will begin to see the light.
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I sneeze. I believe it's a medical fact that when you sneeze, your eyes automatically close.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
mpickles

Post by mpickles »

I've often wondered how others deal with this. In my CCW class, the instructor advised us that we could legally ignore these signs but that we may become personally liable if we ever had to use our firearm in these CPZs. Personally, I've only run into this sign at places like the courthouse and public library here in town, and Cabell Hospital across the river. In at least the first two cases, I always assumed state and/or local authority meant I had to leave it in my trunk anyways - I'm able to lockout the trunk so that it won't open without the key, otherwise I wouldn't be comfortable doing this. As for the third, the CCW class only covered Ohio law, so I'm not confident in pushing the issue across state lines and it's not like I had much choice on where the ambulance took me (luckily I wasn't carrying this day). For the most part, I tend to go elsewhere, but I'd imagine there are times you have no choice.

Family is planning a trip to Camden Park for this weekend and I'm having a hard time finding info on places over there. My dad thinks I'm nuts for wanting to carry outside the house, go figure.

I'm also pretty socially awkward in person so I'd be less inclined to bring it up to anyone face to face, but a letter and/or email would work for me. Does anyone have any examples of letters they've sent in the past?
"A license is what you get when the government steals your rights away from you and then sells them back."
- Mark Edge
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

mpickles wrote:I've often wondered how others deal with this. In my CCW class, the instructor advised us that we could legally ignore these signs
Your instructor was incorrect or you misunderstood him. In Ohio it is criminal trespass, an M4, to knowingly carry past a no-guns sign posted on a business or other private property.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

mpickles wrote:Family is planning a trip to Camden Park for this weekend and I'm having a hard time finding info on places over there.
What and where is Camden Park? I hope you don't mean the baseball stadium in Baltimore. Maryland is not a state we have reciprocity with.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
High Power

Post by High Power »

I usually don't encounter that many CPZ signs that are posted conspicuously enough where I can see them.

When I do see a CPZ sign I go somewhere else with my business.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I always carry a single blade razer with me... :twisted:
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens