Polling station question

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

razzle

Polling station question

Post by razzle »

I have a little bit of an odd situation. I am a youth pastor and me and my senior pastor both have our CHL's and we both carry our firearms everyday while working at our church. The situation I have is that our church is a polling station for voters during elections and I know that polling stations are non-carry zones. Now since we are pastors here and are allowed to CCW are we then not permitted to carry our firearms while elections are being held here? It's kind of a grey area and I asked a CCW instructor but he had no idea what the answer to that was. I am hoping somebody on here can give me a definite answer.
All that is needed for evil to flourish is good people to do nothing.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Polling station question

Post by JustaShooter »

We discussed this during the last election cycle, and my take was that "it depends". Certainly, the space they lease is off-limits, but whether or not that includes the entire church or not depends on the terms of the lease and whether or not the voters enter and exit through a separate entrance (and thus do not have access to certain areas).
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
razzle

Post by razzle »

We are in the same wing of the building as them but they do use a separate entrance. The voting is on end of the hall and our offices are at the other end but the hallway is only about 75' long. I talked to one guy and he said people who campaign for certain candidates are required to stay 100' away from the polling station in all directions. He wonders if the same law applies to ccw'ers.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

razzle wrote:We are in the same wing of the building as them but they do use a separate entrance. The voting is on end of the hall and our offices are at the other end but the hallway is only about 75' long.
What about the terms of the lease? If they are just leasing that room, that would make me think you might be OK...

Is there any clear separation (other than the hallway), like a door they would have to pass through to leave the polling place and enter your end of the hallway?
razzle wrote:I talked to one guy and he said people who campaign for certain candidates are required to stay 100' away from the polling station in all directions. He wonders if the same law applies to ccw'ers.
Not as far as I can tell. There isn't anything in Ohio law I can find that would indicate that is the case - and that would preclude having it in your vehicle in some cases which would not make sense.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
razzle

Post by razzle »

No there is not door that they have to pass through to get to us. they are only leasing our gym though and not any other rooms in our building.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I so love grey areas lol.

My personal opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it, is that based on your description the gym would obviously be off-limits but I would still carry in my offices at the other end of the hall.
NRA Life Member

razzle

Post by razzle »

Well guys I decided to play it safe today and leave my pistol locked up in my car. Although playing it safe and not having my pistol on me don't belong in the same sentence. But with some of the comments on here and talking to two CCW instructors I could never get a clear answer. Oh' well it is what it is. I will say though that I feel naked without my G26 strapped to my side.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

If I may be so bold:

Convert to Islam for the day....

Whole bunch of them don't appear to be subject to any of our laws....

:mrgreen:

Seriously, "leave it in the car" may be "belt & suspenders", but you won't get into any trouble there. Being a grey area, though, the lack of law should be interpreted in your favor, but is a tad more risky. In a small town with reasonably 2A-friendly management, it shouldn't be a problem. Heavily blue area and you're fried.... :(

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם