Ohio BMV

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Funk49

Ohio BMV

Post by Funk49 »

I searched the attorney general's site.....I see no listing as a GFZ....Apparently it's permitted....
Am I wrong?
pirateguy191

Re: Ohio BMV

Post by pirateguy191 »

They are all posted from what I've seen.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Funk49

Post by Funk49 »

I see....I guess you have to enter the building to see the sign....I would've thought they would be an explicit mention on the AG's list....
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

The good news is for registration renewals, there are self-service kiosks available across the state:

http://bmv.ohio.gov/faq_self_service_terminal.stm#tog

I just did mine at Meijer....I can carry there.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

This is one of the many reasons why solely relying on the AG pamphlet is a bad idea - it is a summary, and as such lacks some of the details found in the text of the law itself. For example, this is in ORC 2923.126 (G) (3) (b):

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(3) "Government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state" means any of the following:
(b) The office of a deputy registrar serving pursuant to Chapter 4503. of the Revised Code that is used to perform deputy registrar functions.
So, it is sort of in the AG list, since it includes Government Facilities, but you have to look into the details to see that the BMV deputy registrar offices are included. Of course, they are posted (or should be) as well.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

bearkitty wrote:The good news is for registration renewals, there are self-service kiosks available across the state:

http://bmv.ohio.gov/faq_self_service_terminal.stm#tog

I just did mine at Meijer....I can carry there.
I did mine at home...
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Testing my memory....

(I don't claim to be too old, but my FTO thought flintlocks were just a passing fad....)

My understanding is that when the CHL program went into effect in 2004, the folks running the DMV immediately demanded that their deputy registrars post, or lose their franchises. This was NOT a statutory (i.e., Felonly) CPZ - just the same old "Sears" style.

Some years later, the DMV managed to get their deputy registrars on the Felony list. The only mention seems to be in the ORC someplace.

IMHO, the DO have to post, but since you're supposed to know, the "didn't see the sign" defense probably wouldn't work. AFAIK, the only statutory CPZ that doesn't have to post is a house of worship. I expect that some rural BMV offices are not posted - probably 'cause they're "over by the automotive oil aisle" in a gas station. iAC, I suppose that the manager simply is disregarding any weapons seen - especially when it's his brother-in-law is the licensee :D....

IAC, no sign is really necessary, and it may not be mandatory to post, but it's still a statutory CPZ.

I don't know if they exist anymore, but we used to have deputy registrars in odd places. One of the places I used to go to so I could avoid the hassle of a crowded facility during the annual renewal season, was a furniture store. I expect that the corner of the store that was the registrars would still be off-limits, but I also think that the whole thing may have gone away for these "little" branches.

I do just about everything over the web these days.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

License plate / Vehicle registration renewal I do by web, but when the DL runs out... well, gotta nut up and go there.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

SMMAssociates wrote:Testing my memory....

I don't know if they exist anymore, but we used to have deputy registrars in odd places. One of the places I used to go to so I could avoid the hassle of a crowded facility during the annual renewal season, was a furniture store. I expect that the corner of the store that was the registrars would still be off-limits, but I also think that the whole thing may have gone away for these "little" branches.

Regards,
Around 1970 our DMV was in a Sawmill office!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Cruiser wrote:

Regards,
When Stu first started out on the roads it was 'BHV' (yep, "H" is for "horse-drawn". :lol: )
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Cruiser wrote:

Regards,
Was that a sawmill to cut the logs for a corduroy road? :wink:
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.