Zoos as CPZ's in Ohio

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Zoos as CPZ's in Ohio

Post by Brian D. »

This is sort of a new discussion, spurred on by some 2nd Amendment activity our friend BB62 is taking part in versus the municipal zoo in St. Louis Mo. They have blocked all manner of what we would presume to be lawful carry, per Missouri law, to put it briefly.

Anyhow I know we've discussed specific municipal zoos here in Ohio before, and usually they are at least to some degree posted as being off-limits to carry. Among their arguments the zoos will make all kinds of claims as to their status. Here in Cincinnati the zoo claims to be part of the Cincinnati Public School system. That is a stretch at best, just because a place offers an outreach program at times, to me that doesn't turn it into a school.

But that and other points aside, don't these zoos that claim to be educational facilities also have Class D liquor licenses of some type? Wouldn't those two particulars be in conflict with each other per the ORC?

You guys kick this around and let's see what happens, okay?

I don't recall where Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, etc. zoos are located neighborhood-wise. But the Cincinnati Zoo is in an area I really don't feel good about disarming in. Hence it's off my list of places to go, which is kind of sad because I always enjoyed trips there as a kid and adult.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Zoos as CPZ's in Ohio

Post by 147Doc »

I agree with your opinion of the 'hood around the Cincy Zoo. The few times I've gone since they posted I've carried into the parking lot, disarmed and locked up, then rearmed when we were leving.
I will say parking in their new lot keeps the time spent on the bad streets to a minim.
My wife and I were staunch members for years, but I really don't want to be since they enacted the policy, and so far she's gone along with it.

We were in the Cuyahoga Valley area over Veteran's Day week, and the Akron Zoo was giving free admissions to Veterans, so we went. The neighborhood looks like it has seen a big change in the past few years - lots of new housing - but we both got the feeling it was Section Eight and not the best neighborhood.
And they have several signs barring legal carry... each side of the doors into the lobby where you pay, then either side of the doors that exit that room and lead to the Zoo proper.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Does the Akron Zoo claim to be publicly owned? Do they claim to be an "educational facility"? Finally, if the answer to the second question was yes, does the zoo serve alcohol?

I don't know if we can make a successful run at getting any of them to take down their No Guns signs, but I'd sure like to look into the matter with some arrows in our quiver.

********************************************************************************
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Same subject, different state:

HOUSTON ZOO REINSTALLS SIGNS PROHIBITING GUNS
HOUSTON -- The Houston Zoo has reinstalled signs that prohibit carrying firearms into the zoo, three months after they were removed due to threat of legal action.

The Houston Chronicle reports Attorney Edwin Walker with Texas Law Shield sent a demand letter to the Houston Zoo, its corporate entity and the city's parks and recreation department on Sept. 3 asking they take down all guns-prohibited signs at the zoo.

Once the signs were removed, zoo staff said they would consult with lawyers about what their next step should be.

Houston Zoo spokeswoman Jackie Wallace said the signs were put back because the zoo is an educational institution that exempts if from being forced to allow firearms within its gates. Wallace said the zoo has an Education Department that employs 17 professional educators.

"After consultation with legal counsel, the Houston Zoo, Inc. has concluded that Texas government code does not prohibit HZI from lawfully posting signs that ban weapons from its premises because HZI is - at its core - an educational institution," Wallace wrote.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Yeah Alan there's been a fair amount of chatter about the Zoo topic from across the U.S. over at open carry dot org. The Texas folks are going to look into that situation of "educational institution" versus the Zoo's status as liquor license holders/dispensers of alkyhol. Not familiar with Texas liquor law but I bet they're not supposed to be running a school and a bar in the same spot.

Maybe we as concerned citizens should also start referring to Criminal Protection Zones as "Soft Targets for Terrorism" and see how the people on Zoo boards feel about it.

AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Brian D. wrote: Not familiar with Texas liquor law but I bet they're not supposed to be running a school and a bar in the same spot.
That, right there, is FUNNY!. I don't care who you are!

Oh, and if you're interested, here's where I get the gun related smilies:
http://vagunforum.net/posting.php?mode=smilies
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
rainmaker
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rainmaker »

We went to Cincinnati Zoo Festival of Lights last night. Very cool, and a lot of lights were different from previous years. Well worth the visit.

Cincinnati Zoo is still posted at parking lot entrance - Vine Street anyway - small Ghostbuster sign.

Saw more Zoo security personnel than at other visits, and Cincinnati Police officers at entry points and roaming around. They obviously stepped things up a bit.
Steve
NRA member (long, long time)
NMLRA member (even longer)
OFCC member, BFA member
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

Columbus Zoo only post buildings, not the rest of the zoo or restrooms. This includes the water park. Several spots to buy booze. Rented a locker and reeducated myself and the wife as to why some folks have no business wearing skimpy clothes/swimwear :roll: