Richland Mall, Mansfield, Ohio - Now A CPZ.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

HkSniper

Richland Mall, Mansfield, Ohio - Now A CPZ.

Post by HkSniper »

Stopped by Richland Mall today intending to head into Gamestop to make a pre-order purchase for a midnight release tonight. Was greeted with the pictured sign. Looks like they were pretty specific about naming those with CHLs.

Richland Mall USED to be very concealed carry friendly. Thanks in part to the security management that was there at the time. But now that those individuals are gone it looks like the mall finally took the steps.

For those who are local you know. This mall is being forced into auction by a federal judge and is hurting bad. They are in very little position to be turning away customers like this. :roll: But, I obliged and went to the Gamestop on the other side of town which is not posted and conducted my pre-order there.

On my way back out to my car, I noticed the doors at JC Penney's were not posted. Take that information as you may. :lol:

troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Richland Mall, Mansfield, Ohio - Now A CPZ.

Post by troy bilt »

I just sent them an email letting them know they have lost my business.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
747tech

Post by 747tech »

Simply is an invitation to those with the thug mentality that they are safe to play with all the LAC's who still choose to shop there.
When you find yourself in a hole just keep digging.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
Double3

Post by Double3 »

People still go there?
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Not a regular there, but have been there a couple times. I also sent a Dear John letter none the less...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
HkSniper

Post by HkSniper »

Some contact links for others to use;

http://www.richlandmallshopping.com/contact/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mall Manager - Jodi Scott
https://www.facebook.com/richlandmallohio/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I added it to the DNPWA page.

Who knows, maybe contacting them and posting items up on their FB will get them to change their mind as the mall at one point used to be CHL friendly.

As for comments about the mall -

The mall is pretty dead. There were not a lot of people in the parking lot when I pulled in. I was in there in August to buy some shoes that were on sale and there were no signs then. So this was a very recent thing for them to put signs up. When I was in the mall back in August I was probably one of about 5 customers wandering around. As I said before they really are not in a position to be picky. Beggars can't be choosers, especially in this case. But as one gentlemen put it - just keep digging that hole deeper and deeper.

I have a feeling the mall will inevitably be bought out by Avita, however, and become a hospital. So maybe these signs are in preparation of that?
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

I went to their grand opening, and I've been there hundreds of time over the decades. I still get my glasses at Lenscrafters, although they have only an outside entrance, and the last time I was there, they had no posting.

I may have to share my thoughts with them. Does the attachment of the Avita facility have anything to do with this?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

My message to the Richland Mall management (11/13/2015):

I attended the grand opening of Richland Mall when I was only 13 years old. I patronized the mall hundreds of times in the next 45 years, often making large purchases. It has always been a part of my life.

It was brought to my attention that the mall was recently posted with a prohibition of firearms. I know of no significant firearm incidents there, and I have lawfully carried a handgun there, both openly and concealed, on multiple occasions, without incident. I know of no reason which justifies the recent posting. However, I do know that it is sad that I will discontinue my patronage of all stores within the mall until those signs are removed.

I urge you to reconsider your position on this matter.

Note: I strongly urge others around Mansfield to make yourself heard. Mansfield does not have the squishy progressive demographic which surrounds many urban shopping malls, and negative feedback might change this policy.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

I received from Jodi Scott, the General Manager of Richland Mall, an interesting reply to my email:
Without stating or debating position, I can point out that the only current posting is at the shared entrance to Avita Health Systems. I am sure you are aware that It is commonplace for hospitals, schools, churches and government buildings to post this signage.
I will respond to her and clarify that the gunbuster sign applies only to the Avita facility. If so, I do not expect them to change that, since the vast majority of medical facilities will never change their position on this matter. I will then post her reply.
-- BobK
HkSniper

Post by HkSniper »

If it applies for the Avita facility, why is not NOT posted on the Avita entrance? Rather, it's posted at a mall entrance.

Sounds suspiciously like beating around the bush to me.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

HkSniper wrote:If it applies for the Avita facility, why is not NOT posted on the Avita entrance? Rather, it's posted at a mall entrance.

Sounds suspiciously like beating around the bush to me.
I'm still waiting for a response to my inquiry. However, from the context of the image you posted, it does look like it's posted on the door near the inside entrance of Avita neé Lazarus. Is that the only one you have seen posted?
-- BobK