Can motels ban pistols in rented room?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MacDonald

Can motels ban pistols in rented room?

Post by MacDonald »

I was on Defensive Carry forum and read about Great Wolf Ledge CPZ in another state, and there was a question if the 'no guns policy' corporate or site-by-site.

Can guns be banned in rented overnite rooms?

I live in Southern OH, and interviewed for a job once in Akron. I stayed overnight at the Red Roof Inn, and was told by the desk clerk that firearms were not allowed in the lobby but by law could not be banned in rooms.

What about hotels where guest have to enter the lobby to access their rented rooms, rather than a motel where you can drive up to your bedroom door?
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Can motels ban pistols in rented room?

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

MacDonald wrote:I was on Defensive Carry forum and read about Great Wolf Ledge CPZ in another state, and there was a question if the 'no guns policy' corporate or site-by-site.

Can guns be banned in rented overnite rooms?
Yes.
RC 2923.126(C)(3)(a) allows the owners of private property to post.
2923.126(C)(3)(b) prohibits landlords from restricting tenants or their guests from carrying in "residential premises".
2923.126(C)(3)(c)(i) refers to RC 5321.01 for the definition of "residential premises".
5321.01(C)(3) says
(C) "Residential premises" does not include any of the following:

(3) Tourist homes, hotels, motels, recreational vehicle parks, recreation camps, combined park-camps, temporary park-camps, and other similar facilities where circumstances indicate a transient occupancy;
MacDonald wrote:I live in Southern OH, and interviewed for a job once in Akron. I stayed overnight at the Red Roof Inn, and was told by the desk clerk that firearms were not allowed in the lobby but by law could not be banned in rooms.
The clerk was wrong, but sometimes peoples' mistakes about the law works in your favor. Usually it cuts the other way.
MacDonald wrote:What about hotels where guest have to enter the lobby to access their rented rooms, rather than a motel where you can drive up to your bedroom door?
No difference. They're allowed to post and it applies to people renting their rooms as well as visitors or people who haven't checked in.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

I'll admit to being a Marriott snob. I find their establishments to be of consistent quality and I stay with them enough each year that the computer tells the clerk to be extra nice when I check in. According to my Rewards account in the 15 years I've been a member I've spent almost 200 nights with them. Despite most of the properties being run by franchisees I have never seen a single prohibition.

I know a few years back there was a debacle in the Carolinas during the NRA convention where signs went up halfway through the event. After things settled down a bit I called the elite reservations line and asked to speak with a supervisor. After explaining the reason for my call, she put me on hold for about five minutes and came back with a Vice President on the line. He apologized for the concern and said that folks literally blew up their 800 numbers when word got out. It took a little digging but they determined that the signs were put up by local staff members with no authority to do so. Supposedly they got frightened by all the open carriers coming and going during the convention. Corporate ordered the signs down and sent out memos to all properties across the footprint telling them to remove any non-compliant signage as well. He laughed and said "Gosh, being stuck here in suburban Baltimore I only wish I knew what it was like to be able to carry a concealed handgun let alone openly!" I told him that's what he gets for being a law abiding citizen working in a cesspool of a state. We ended the call with him telling me that there'd been rumors of them leaving Maryland for years and he really hoped it came to fruition.

Fast forward five years and there was a blurb on Bloomberg a few months ago that Marriott is now considering moving from Maryland, possibly closer to DC on the Virginia side of the line. It seems they've come to the conclusion that Maryland really isn't that great of a place to run a business.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Maryland has been losing businesses due to their tax structure for a few years. But, Mariott is still based there at this point.

Ironically, one of their semi-associated businesses is located in a Maryland office park called "Democracy Centre".
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
wickedgreyzx3

Post by wickedgreyzx3 »

I've stayed in many a motel before. I sometimes take my weapon into the room with me. But the rooms with parking lot access, I always take it with me
MacDonald

Post by MacDonald »

wickedgreyzx3 wrote:I've stayed in many a motel before. I sometimes take my weapon into the room with me. But the rooms with parking lot access, I always take it with me
I have only had my CHL for four years, but I will certainly carry into a room accessed from a parking lot!
John 3:16
Romans 1:16- "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ..."
NRA Lifetime Member
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils" - John Stark
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

wickedgreyzx3 wrote:I've stayed in many a motel before. I sometimes take my weapon into the room with me. But the rooms with parking lot access, I always take it with me
I have yet to encounter a posted hotel, and have always carried my gun in with me.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

That would be cute if a hotel tried to check me for a gun, I'd more soon sleep in my truck than submit to a search. As someone said it's called concealed carry for a reason! Keep the gun hidden and don't worry about it! They can't stop you legally.
-Aaron