Statutory CPZ - posted, but not clearly

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Statutory CPZ - posted, but not clearly

Post by Stryker74 »

I was at my local BMV yesterday to renew my driver's license for another 4 years. I knew heading in that it is a statutory CPZ, but did not see any signage on the door.

Once I got my pull ticket number and sat down, I was watching a flat screen display with some Ohio trivia and BMV info. Lo and behold, up pops the very recognizable gunbuster sign for about 20-30 seconds before the "slide show" went on to the next item.

So, ORC 2923.126 makes the BMV statutory CPZ's - that is clear in my mind. 2923.1212 states that these agencies have to post the signage - but it does not spell out how. Looking back at 2923.126, the word 'conspicuously' is used for describing a posting for private owners - but I don't see anything of that nature in 2923.1212 for statutory CPZ's.

So, knowing that the BMV is off limits anyway and that there is no compelling legal reason to make them change - is it worth talking to the deputy registrar at that BMV branch to try to get the gunbuster on the door?

Anyone else in the Franklin county area seen this type of "posting"? (I renew my plates through the web site each year - so I am lucky to hit the BMV more than once every 4 years, so this was the first time seeing this for me.)
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TJW815

Re: Statutory CPZ - posted, but not clearly

Post by TJW815 »

I've seen similar in Warren County.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Just open carry. :wink:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
BobK

Post by BobK »

pirateguy191 wrote:Just open carry. :wink:
And get arrested for trespassing ....
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

That's why the wink. Where's BB?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Face

Post by Face »

Does it actually state a BMV is a statutory CPZ? I know my local one is - but there are no state employees in it , nor is it state property.

- I'm too lazy to look at the statute:)
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Face wrote:Does it actually state a BMV is a statutory CPZ? I know my local one is - but there are no state employees in it , nor is it state property.

Yes. Statutory.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

BobK wrote:
Face wrote:Does it actually state a BMV is a statutory CPZ? I know my local one is - but there are no state employees in it , nor is it state property.

Yes. Statutory.
Where's that at? Last year Kasich made all BMV locations in Ohio private enterprizes.

Ohio's driver's license facilities will be completely privatized after this week, BMV announces

Therefore I don't see how they qualify as a government building anymore.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
BobK wrote:

Yes. Statutory.
Where's that at? Last year Kasich made all BMV locations in Ohio private enterprizes.

Ohio's driver's license facilities will be completely privatized after this week, BMV announces

Therefore I don't see how they qualify as a government building anymore.
The ORC begs to differ...
2923.126(G)

(3) "Government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state" means any of the following:

(a) A building or part of a building that is owned or leased by the government of this state or a political subdivision of this state and where employees of the government of this state or the political subdivision regularly are present for the purpose of performing their official duties as employees of the state or political subdivision;

(b) The office of a deputy registrar serving pursuant to Chapter 4503. of the Revised Code that is used to perform deputy registrar functions.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I read that list and missed it. My bad.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I read that list and missed it. My bad.
The Deputy Registrars were not in the original law, but the BMV had kittens and required all contractors to post. It then lobbied to have Registrars added and the legislature accommodated them.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JediSkipdogg wrote:... Last year Kasich made all BMV locations in Ohio private enterprizes.

You're giving Kasich too much credit. The deputy registrars have been privatized for years.

The article is about the privatizing the last remaining deputy registrar office staffed by public employees.
MyWifeSaidYes