cleveland convention center

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

soberbiker

cleveland convention center

Post by soberbiker »

Was just at the new convention center in downtown cleveland tonight. Was fully expecting gun buster signs as I thought this was a government type building. To my surprise I didn't see any signs. However there were about a dozen sets of glass doors and didn't get to check them all and left my gun locked in the glove box already. I'm not sure if it just isn't properly posted or if people can carry there. I'm guessing not properly posted.
pirateguy191

Re: cleveland convention center

Post by pirateguy191 »

Doesn't Cuyahoga County own the convention center?

You really shouldn't need a gun while there. Their security will take care of you.
Our Security Operations Center never closes, with guards available 24 hours a day to walk you back to your hotel or help you with any of your security needs. You can reach the Security Operations Center by calling 216.928.1601.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

You forgot the /sarc tag.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

JonasM wrote:You forgot the /sarc tag.
Pretty much everything I post has at least a hint of sarcasm, I kinda figured it was a given. :roll: :? :wink:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

pirateguy191 wrote:Doesn't Cuyahoga County own the convention center?
That's the part I'm trying to figure out. If it is I have no problem with it being posted properly. I may not agree with it but that's another fight. The fact that I saw no signs on the door I walked in or any adjacent doors could lead to someone getting in trouble. It may have been posted but it does no good if it's posted on a different door 50 feet away from the one I walked in.

This is why I feel our no carry sign law needs to be more clear.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

It may be owned by the county but it is operated by a private company, which is why it's staffed with private security guards and not sheriff's deputies among other things. Unless it's a regular working place for public officials then the private company would be within their rights to not post.
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

pirateguy191 wrote:
JonasM wrote:You forgot the /sarc tag.
Pretty much everything I post has at least a hint of sarcasm, I kinda figured it was a given. :roll: :? :wink:
You have to remember that there are always new folks on the forum who don't know you. :)
Mortar34

Post by Mortar34 »

Doesn't it have to be conspicuously posted? I figured a posted business would have to post at every public entrance. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong because that's the assumption I have been under.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Mortar34 wrote:Doesn't it have to be conspicuously posted? I figured a posted business would have to post at every public entrance. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong because that's the assumption I have been under.
Yes, but if it's government owned where government employees are regularly present, then while it's suppose to be posted (there's no penalty if they don't), it's still on you for knowing you can't enter it while armed. Yup, great law there. /pirates sarcasm.

The key on this building will be are government employees regularly present. Sharonville Ohio's convention center is owned by the city, pretty much privately run, but all events are booked by a government employee that her office is right inside the building. I think she has an assistant as well. Two full time employees and the rest is all contracted out. Interestingly on that aspect, it's where the Bill Goodman's show is always held. Now doesn't that just propose a unique conundrum?
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Mortar34

Post by Mortar34 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Mortar34 wrote:Doesn't it have to be conspicuously posted? I figured a posted business would have to post at every public entrance. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong because that's the assumption I have been under.
Yes, but if it's government owned where government employees are regularly present, then while it's suppose to be posted (there's no penalty if they don't), it's still on you for knowing you can't enter it while armed. Yup, great law there. /pirates sarcasm.

The key on this building will be are government employees regularly present. Sharonville Ohio's convention center is owned by the city, pretty much privately run, but all events are booked by a government employee that her office is right inside the building. I think she has an assistant as well. Two full time employees and the rest is all contracted out. Interestingly on that aspect, it's where the Bill Goodman's show is always held. Now doesn't that just propose a unique conundrum?
Yeah, I understand the ambiguity in whether or not its a government building. Thanks again for the quick answers.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Give Jimmy Dimora a buzz; he'll tell you who really owns that building. (The answer pea will be under the walnut shell you might not have expected.) :)
nightpanda2810

Post by nightpanda2810 »

Was anyone able to get a definitive answer on this?