cpz question firstmerit

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

snakebite129

cpz question firstmerit

Post by snakebite129 »

http://www.decalsplanet.com/item-6545-no-gun-sign.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw this logo at the door of the local first merit bank and wanted to know if this is sufficient for a cpz??

Pretty exactly this image
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: cpz question firstmerit

Post by troy bilt »

I get the point that they want me to take my money elsewhere.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
soberbiker

Post by soberbiker »

In the state of ohio you can write NO GUNZ in crayon on a used bar napkin held to the door with hot pink duct tape and it's just as much a crime as if it were all official looking citing the ORC.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

IANAL....

I think that "we" know what the sign means, but others might not quite get the idea.

Wouldn't want to be the test case, and I doubt if anybody wouldn't miss that the item is a gun, but I wonder if there's a legal necessity to have text rather than just a symbol?

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

That's interesting - the First Merit branches in my area have a sign that appears to be made for them specifically - although much like the traditional government-mandated (that is, mandated for government CPZs) except the text underneath the gunbuster says the only exceptions have to be approved by First Merit security or somesuch.

Anyway, I think that those signs are clear enough, there is nothing I can see in the ORC that requires text, and in my (non-legal) opinion pass the "reasonable person" test.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Since I carry a revolver I think that sign does not apply to me. If I had a Colt Woodsman or something like that, it might be an issue.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
snakebite129

Post by snakebite129 »

Thanks for the response everyone!! I just wasn't sure
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

evan price wrote:Since I carry a revolver I think that sign does not apply to me.
I think I'd like to be in the gallery for your trial... :wink:
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

why would you ever have a need to walk into a first merit ?? Craziest thing I've ever heard.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

wkdravenna wrote:why would you ever have a need to walk into a first merit ?? Craziest thing I've ever heard.
I don't, now that I've moved my accounts.
NRA Life Member

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

JustaShooter wrote:
wkdravenna wrote:why would you ever have a need to walk into a first merit ?? Craziest thing I've ever heard.
I manage transactions on two different FirstMerit checking accounts. I have not been inside a branch for years.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mentioned this at least a few times previously but I still find it amusing enough to bring up again for any new forumites: Fifth Third bank has some branches in northern Kentucky and they are too cheap or dense to use 'No Guns' signage there that reference the Kentucky Revised Statutes, instead they state that 'Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code 2923....' ...'no firearms allowed'.

That gives me even less reason to ever do business with them.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jmwildenthal

Post by jmwildenthal »

JustaShooter wrote:
Make sure you write them a nice letter. I recommend something along the following lines:
Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to thank you for your company's no-nonsense frankness. There are few companies willing to openly indicate that a significant portion of their clientele is violent, impulsive, reckless, and/or generally untrustworthy. As I prefer for my family to avoid people like that, I have decided to take our business to BANK, which evidently doesn't have that problem. I will also tell my friends and neighbors about both your courage and your problem assessment.
When they write back asking what they said...
As a parent/teacher, I understand the principle of restricting those who are not fully competent. I placed more restrictions on my children/students when they were younger/ignorant and progressively eliminated the restrictions as they matured/learned. I restricted them in areas where they could be a danger to themselves or to others. Your "No Guns" sign indicates that you believe that the people who would frequent your establishment and carry a firearm are a danger to themselves or to others. I prefer to avoid people like that, too. So I am taking my business to BANK, which doesn't post such a sign. Evidently they have a more responsible clientele.

Thank you again for your frank honesty!
I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. If you want legal advice, pay an attorney for it.
NRA Certified Instructor