Regarding CPZ's and how to handle obscure ones?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xwmstormx

Regarding CPZ's and how to handle obscure ones?

Post by xwmstormx »

Obviously I am new to the forums and to having my CCW. I'm learning all I can and as fast as I can while soaking up all the info here. This site really is a great resource for info!

But, I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a sticky thread that has a list (with images) of all the signs we have all encountered with a general explanation of them to help us new people out a bit. Granted not everything can be handed to us and we have to learn our areas and businesses first hand but it can't hurt to have this type of thread made and stickied as a precaution. The old "Before you head out with your new CCW/CHL here is what to look for."

For example. The in-and-out mart on (since we are all in ohio (mostly)) Alexis and Talmadge(Toledo) has no signs posted that I could see on the door or the windows. I go there all the time and end up disarming before I go inside just because I am never sure if they have one hidden somewhere obscure.

In this case what is the best way to approach a teller or a manager or whoever is behind that counter and ask them if their business allows concealed/open carry? Or do I ask if there is a sign somewhere out of view?

Could use a bit of help on this as I have been through tons of pages on this site and have not seen a post like this unless I missed it (as I often do) and I want to be sure before going into anywhere with my firearm. Any and all comments are very welcome!
JediSkipdogg

Re: Regarding CPZ's and how to handle obscure ones?

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'll give ya a hint. Read my signature.

And put your hard hat on for your fourth paragraph. It may get dirty now. LOL (hint, that answer is in the thread below as well)
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Don't ever ask. If it ain't posted conspicuously, carry on.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

And don't HUNT for CPZ signs!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
xwmstormx

Post by xwmstormx »

JediSkipdogg wrote:I'll give ya a hint. Read my signature.

And put your hard hat on for your fourth paragraph. It may get dirty now. LOL (hint, that answer is in the thread below as well)
Thank you so much! That is insanely helpful and how did I miss that? Is it not a sticky? Either I am blind and missed it or it should be stickied as that was exactly what I was looking for!
pirateguy191 wrote:Don't ever ask. If it ain't posted conspicuously, carry on.
Thank you for the tip, I will not ever ask anyone if I do not see a sign. This helps a TON as I am learning and it is great to have people help me out on how to be safe and on how to react. I'm still a bit nervous about where I carry if I don't see a sign and don't want to lose my CCW by a silly mistake by me not paying attention.
Cruiser wrote:And don't HUNT for CPZ signs!
Thank you for the note. Apparently I am hunting for CPZ signs and have to learn more about this.

You guys are great! This is how us new people learn and I am glad that as a new person I have you all to help me and guide me into being safe and legal where I go. You have no idea how much it means to me! Thank you all!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

xwmstormx wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:I'll give ya a hint. Read my signature.

Thank you so much! That is insanely helpful and how did I miss that? Is it not a sticky? Either I am blind and missed it or it should be stickied as that was exactly what I was looking for!
It's stickied in my signature on every post I make. :lol:

Not sure why it's not truely stickied. I'll see about doing that.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

xwmstormx wrote: Thank you for the tip, I will not ever ask anyone if I do not see a sign. This helps a TON as I am learning and it is great to have people help me out on how to be safe and on how to react. I'm still a bit nervous about where I carry if I don't see a sign and don't want to lose my CCW by a silly mistake by me not paying attention.
Cruiser wrote:And don't HUNT for CPZ signs!
Thank you for the note. Apparently I am hunting for CPZ signs and have to learn more about this.

You guys are great! This is how us new people learn and I am glad that as a new person I have you all to help me and guide me into being safe and legal where I go. You have no idea how much it means to me! Thank you all!
The law requires the sign to be conspicuously posted. That can mean many things, but none of us here are aware of anyone being prosecuted for missing an obscure sign and entering somewhere (other than a statutory CPZ). Now, if you are spotted and asked to leave, don't argue, don't dawdle, leave. Failure to leave when asked can expose you to a criminal trespass charge.

Now, this doesn't mean you should ignore signs. If you see it, honor it by going somewhere else and give your business to someone who doesn't post. However, many of these signs are so poorly posted, the store owner can't always find it quickly. If the sign is 3'x6' with neon lettering, then they may charge you even if you aren't asked to leave because there is no way you could miss it.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
R1CUSTOM

Post by R1CUSTOM »

Conspicuous is the key word thru out the explanation to your post.