Columbus Metropolitan Libary

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

williaty

Columbus Metropolitan Libary

Post by williaty »

Has anyone ever made contact with the Columbus Metropolitan Library administration to find out if they're swayable with regards to posting all their branches? The CML branch I have to use is far and away the most dangerous place I go in a normal week. It irks me not to be able to carry there.
techguy85

Re: Columbus Metropolitan Libary

Post by techguy85 »

They are posted because they are statutorially off limits, being a government building and all.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Isn't the library run by the city? If so, doesn't that make it an automatic CPZ under ORC 2923.126?
(B) A valid concealed handgun license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun in any manner prohibited under division (B) of section 2923.12 of the Revised Code or in any manner prohibited under section 2923.16 of the Revised Code. A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:

(9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;
williaty

Post by williaty »

I didn't realize that the library was actually a government entity. I thought they were a grant-based non-profit. Huh, well, answers that then!
concreteguy

Post by concreteguy »

Yes it's great :evil: having income tax deducted for services like this, but because I'm not a resident, I can't fully use these services.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Legislative Agenda: Regain the right to carry in buildings bought and paid for by the public.

Most government buildings cannot be posted -- by statute -- in Texas. Prisons, courts, and school buildings are the few exceptions.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
docachna

Post by docachna »

concreteguy wrote:Yes it's great :evil: having income tax deducted for services like this, but because I'm not a resident, I can't fully use these services.
What services have you tried to use there, but were denied because you were not a Columbus resident ?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

docachna wrote:What services have you tried to use there, but were denied because you were not a Columbus resident ?
Yes ... by law any library in Ohio that receives public funding must make its services fully available to any Ohio resident. You need not live in the jurisdiction in which the library is located.

For example I live in Lorain County but I have a Cleveland Public Library card because their offerings are, frankly, fantastic.
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

BobK wrote:Legislative Agenda: Regain the right to carry in buildings bought and paid for by the public.

Most government buildings cannot be posted -- by statute -- in Texas. Prisons, courts, and school buildings are the few exceptions.
These kind of "common sense" rules I could understand. But all .gov buildings being off limits, by the entities that are expressly prohibited from infringing gun rights, makes no sense to me whatsoever.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

At least we can use roadside rest areas now. :|
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Mustang380gal wrote:At least we can use roadside rest areas now. :|
Yesterday's news. What liberties have been regained this year?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?