How should this sign be interpreted?

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ffej5647

Re: How should this sign be interpreted?

Post by ffej5647 »

I saw this crap sign in Pizza Hut one day. I asked them if it meant I can't carry in there and the guy went and asked someone else, that someone else asked someone else, and finally the manager came up and asked if it was important to know. I said yes! It was posted on the wall behind the counter which in my opinion didn't mean anything because it wasn't posted outside and I didn't want to be arrested for carrying my gun inside to get my pizza. The manager still didn't know and told me to call the number on it. I just said forget it. Since none of you even know if I can carry in here, ill just do it anyways. Its not like any of you will call the cops....
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

ffej5647 wrote:I saw this crap sign in Pizza Hut one day. I asked them if it meant I can't carry in there and the guy went and asked someone else, that someone else asked someone else, and finally the manager came up and asked if it was important to know. I said yes! It was posted on the wall behind the counter which in my opinion didn't mean anything because it wasn't posted outside and I didn't want to be arrested for carrying my gun inside to get my pizza. The manager still didn't know and told me to call the number on it. I just said forget it. Since none of you even know if I can carry in here, ill just do it anyways. Its not like any of you will call the cops....
First off, where the sign is posted doesn't really matter. The law says that it must be posted conspicuously, and since you were able to see it, it must have been conspicuous. They can post it wherever they like, as long as it can be seen, and there is no requirement as to what type of sign they must use. It could be written in crayon on a napkin, posted in the hallway leading to the bathroom, and it would be perfectly legal. Second, since it was at a Pizza Hut, it probably was an actual no guns sign, but it could have been the liquor control sign, which is required by law to be posted in a business that sells alcohol, and would have the wording "You may be committing a felony". Third, the law says that you must knowingly violate the sign to be in violation of the law. If you see the sign, and continue to carry in that building, you are now in violation of the law. Since you saw the sign (if it actually is a no guns sign), and continue to carry in that building, you are breaking the law.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

color of law wrote:The sign applies to government buildings. When that sign is posted on a private establishment the "Unless otherwise authorized by law...” is an invitation to come on in. R.C. 2923.1212 does not mention one word about private establishments.

Look at it this way, just because a security guard wears a uniform, carries a gun and gives the appearance of having super powers, the security guard has no police powers at all, no more than you.

Werz totally disagrees with me, but the AG booklet makes it clear that before a private establishment uses the sign they should consult an attorney; wonder why?
I don't disagree at all. Here's how I look at it ...
  • The likelihood of prosecution for Criminal Trespass, based on the sign alone, is very low. If you are confronted about carrying a firearm and are asked to leave, if you comply, I doubt you would be prosecuted. Of course, that's the case with just about any gunbuster sign.
  • If you are asked to leave, and if you decide to stay around argue about the validity of the sign, the likelihood of prosecution for Criminal Trespass increases significantly.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

color of law wrote:Werz totally disagrees with me, but the AG booklet makes it clear that before a private establishment uses the sign they should consult an attorney; wonder why?
Strictly speaking? Because the AG is statutorily required to produce a sign for use on government buildings. The AG is also statutorily prohibited from providing legal advice to private citizens. So how does the AG give what is essentially a piece of legal advice to a private citizen? Hand it to him but tell him to contact his or her own lawyer for confirmation.
BoxingRef

Post by BoxingRef »

Hi all. I don't post very often on here but here is what I've been told.

The signs were created by a "NOVELTY COMPANY" connected with Toby Hoover, and funded by George Soros and the way the initial letters "APPEARED and WORDED" - it would be a violation if each of the Mgrs didn't post these at entrances for their restaurant, and since it came from the home office first ... nobody questioned it. "No state seal for example."

Sad but true, the farce was; and is enough to satisfy the unknowing cop, employee, and person on the street!

Be safe all.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

BoxingRef wrote:"No state seal for example."

Sad but true, the farce was; and is enough to satisfy the unknowing cop, employee, and person on the street!
A state seal is not required for a sign to be legal in Ohio, and there is no legally required wording, size, color, etc - only that it be posted in a conspicuous location. As has been said in these forums in the past, if the manager scrawls "No Gunz" on a napkin in blue crayon and tapes it to the window, it is a legal posting.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

What sign?
Might be a piece of garbage stuck on the window but I didn't really give it a second glance.
If they wanted it conspicuous it would be at least as big and noticeable as the ORC smoking ban signs imho.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.