The Corner Alley in Cleveland

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

The Corner Alley in Cleveland

Post by sd790 »

This is a bowling alley and restaurant in downtown Cleveland. I may need to attend a business function there soon (don't ask) and am trying to find out if it is a CPZ. I'll be taking a cab, so locking it in my car will not be an option. Google Street View show some stickers on the door but I cannot read them or tell if they are CPZ signs.

Web Site for The Corner Alley
Google Street View

If you know either way, can you please share?

Thanks!!
sd790
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
djthomas

Re: The Corner Alley in Cleveland

Post by djthomas »

Sorry, no help. The last time I was there was well before class D carry became legal and the place doesn't stick out to me either way.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

I have been told that this place was posted last year. I will (sigh) plan accordingly.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

sd790 wrote:I have been told that this place was posted last year. I will (sigh) plan accordingly.
Please come back and advise if it's different.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

Yep. Definitely posted with one of those nasty signs.
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

And just a random tip if you are in the area. Don't take a pocket knife through security into Quicken Loans Arena where the Cavs play.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

sd790 wrote:And just a random tip if you are in the area. Don't take a pocket knife through security into Quicken Loans Arena where the Cavs play.
I haven't been there since two years before the metal detectors went up. I've been told that off duty LEO can badge and carry but absolutely nothing of any interest goes on in that establishment so I've never tried.

I'm years past seeing professional thugs play hoops and/or attending 110 dB events.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

djthomas wrote:
sd790 wrote:And just a random tip if you are in the area. Don't take a pocket knife through security into Quicken Loans Arena where the Cavs play.
I haven't been there since two years before the metal detectors went up. I've been told that off duty LEO can badge and carry but absolutely nothing of any interest goes on in that establishment so I've never tried.

I'm years past seeing professional thugs play hoops and/or attending 110 dB events.
They also host fights where a hockey game has been known to break out. :mrgreen: That was the reason for my first and only visit there, and although I had disarmed in advance of the event (since I had heard it was posted) I wasn't expecting the metal detector wands. When it was my turn, as I was extracting metal junk from my person (including my pocket knife, leatherman, flashlight, etc.) and started looking for something to put stuff in, I was told to just hold it in my hands. So I did, and without even a glance at my double fist full of pocket cruft she declared I was good to go and move it along, sir. Had it been less busy at the time (I arrived in a large group from my workplace) it might have been different but as it was I found myself inside the arena with my normal EDC with the exception of my sidearm. 8)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

But feel free to take an 8" tactical flashlight with a 5 million volt stun discretely embedded in the light. :P
ffej5647

Post by ffej5647 »

its fine in a government building though. i went into the SS office downtown columbus and i forgot i had my knife in my pocket. I told the officer i was soo sorry i forgot i had it and he could hold on to it for me if he wanted or i could take it back to my car. He suddenly bursted out laughing and said that because it wasnt a large blade like over 5 inches or something that it was ok and he handed it back to me. I was pretty shocked! either he was cool or it is actually ok?
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

ffej5647 wrote:its fine in a government building though. i went into the SS office downtown columbus and i forgot i had my knife in my pocket. I told the officer i was soo sorry i forgot i had it and he could hold on to it for me if he wanted or i could take it back to my car. He suddenly bursted out laughing and said that because it wasnt a large blade like over 5 inches or something that it was ok and he handed it back to me. I was pretty shocked! either he was cool or it is actually ok?
Don't forget that the SS office is really a federal building. Unlike Ohio law, federal law explicitly excludes "a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2 1/2 inches in length" from the statutory prohibition on weapons in a federal facility. Since there is a statutory exclusion they have no choice but to let you in. Five inches is not covered but it's never been my experience that the guards take out a ruler. They eyeball it and if it's close enough they let it pass.

The Indians have announced that the mandatory walk through metal detectors are coming soon. I'll be curious to know if the badge in my wallet will set it off and how they'll handle it because I will not be putting that in a little tub with my keys, cell phone, etc to pick up on the other side. Department policy prohibits me from giving another person possession or letting it out of my immediate control in a public situation. Haven't been to Progressive Field in almost two years though so it may be a bit before I find out.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

ffej5647 wrote:

its fine in a government building though. i went into the SS office downtown columbus and i forgot i had my knife in my pocket. I told the officer i was soo sorry i forgot i had it and he could hold on to it for me if he wanted or i could take it back to my car. He suddenly bursted out laughing and said that because it wasnt a large blade like over 5 inches or something that it was ok and he handed it back to me. I was pretty shocked! either he was cool or it is actually ok?
Went down to Cleveland City Hall last week to get some copies of paperwork that I needed. Emptied my pockets into the little basket at the scanner. Had a little pocket nail-clipper with a small (about inch and a half) fold-out blade that is actually a file. The woman running the scanner said to either take it back to my car or forfeit it. I stepped outside and secreted it on a high building ledge and went back in, got what I came for, and picked it back up when I came out. Little does she know the havoc I could wreak with just a standard car key.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
markiano

Post by markiano »

The new "Uptown" alley location (near CASE) is not posted, at least when using the south door by the valet parking.