Jet Express and ferry to Put-in Bay

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Jet Express and ferry to Put-in Bay

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

mropencarry wrote:And the survey says....

"No other paperwork will be involved except for the concealed carry permits. If you let us know in advance, we can make sure everything goes smoothly. Let me know if you have any questions."

Thanks,
Lance

Capt. Lance A. Woodworth

Director of Operations

Put-in-Bay Boat Line Company, The Jet Express

3 N. Monroe Street Port Clinton, OH 43452

419-732-1JET

I thanked him for his timely response and cooperation.
So we must surrender the gun to the captain? Then rearm on the island?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:So we must surrender the gun to the captain? Then rearm on the island?
That's after the PIB police ask you 50 questions. I still think that's BS. Miller Ferry has no such requirement. I'm not going to explain to PIB police that I have a CHL unless stopped for a law enforcement purpose.
The British are going! The British are going!
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote: So we must surrender the gun to the captain? Then rearm on the island?
Given the nature of the situation, this is a good result. It's really no different than flying commercial aircraft...except, in this instance, if the Captain wanted to, he could just say "go pound salt" and not allow any firearms on board at all. It is, afterall, a private business.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

muxtech wrote:
pleasantguywhopacks wrote:So we must surrender the gun to the captain? Then rearm on the island?
That's after the PIB police ask you 50 questions. I still think that's BS. Miller Ferry has no such requirement. I'm not going to explain to PIB police that I have a CHL unless stopped for a law enforcement purpose.
Mux,

Miller Ferry is absolutely posted. What are you going to do there?

Also, you don't know what PIB police are going to do yet. As far as I know, nobody on this board has gone through this procedure yet so at this point, you are just assuming what will happen. Let's not get bent out of shape with no real reason.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Islander

Post by Islander »

I'll try to talk to the guy that is more or less the "dock master" at Millers this weekend to see what he has to say. Maybe I can catch one of the LEO's before they get on board for the weekend too. I'll let you know if I find anything out on Monday, no internet at the lake. Chris, got your pm, been a crazy week, I'll call you soon.
Steve
Islander

Post by Islander »

Been on vacation this week. Got a chance to talk to a guy at Miller's. He gave me a long explaination about Homeland Security and such. No mention about surrendering to the captain or PIB police involvement.I don't think he was the most informed person at Miller's, but that's what he was told to say. Went to the "Bay" for lunch and left my firearm at home. I guess I didn't want to be the one to find out what actually happens.
Steve
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

charben wrote:Miller Ferry is absolutely posted. What are you going to do there?
Q: Are permitted weapons allowed to be carried onboard?
A: No concealed weapons are allowed on Miller Boat Line vessels. Permitted weapons carried in a vehicle, luggage or on a person; must have ammunition separated from the weapon or the weapon must have a trigger lock mechanism in place. This policy will respect your right of a permit and allow for safe transit under the guidelines of the Maritime Security Regulations.
Gun holstered unloaded, mags empty, ammo in a box in my day bag. Why would that not meet any requirement, posted or not?
http://www.millerferry.com/about/maritimesecurity.html
Islander

Post by Islander »

I would think that would work' but I don't make the rules. Another thing to keep in mind is that Millers has security on busy weekends. I've seen them searching bags and vehicles. I don't go out for weekends since I have a home right there, and going anywhere on the island for lunch or dinner is probably going to be in an establishment that serves alcohol,so I guess it's a moot point for me.
Steve
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

PIB..the only place in Ohio that puts license plates on golf carts so they can bust you for full DIY fines. And, full of "cops" who work only for the summer because they have problems getting a full-time LEO gig. 'nuf said.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Islander

Post by Islander »

I have to disagree. Most of the PIB "cops" are full time LEO's from around the area picking up some extra money doing island duty.They are very strict in enforcing the law, but given the nature of the place, I guess they have to be. Back in my younger days it was a pretty wild and wide open place.
Steve
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Perhaps...I haven't been there for awhile. I was not impressed at the time. Then again, I was a bit wild myself.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

muxtech wrote:
charben wrote:Miller Ferry is absolutely posted. What are you going to do there?
Q: Are permitted weapons allowed to be carried onboard?
A: No concealed weapons are allowed on Miller Boat Line vessels. Permitted weapons carried in a vehicle, luggage or on a person; must have ammunition separated from the weapon or the weapon must have a trigger lock mechanism in place. This policy will respect your right of a permit and allow for safe transit under the guidelines of the Maritime Security Regulations.
Gun holstered unloaded, mags empty, ammo in a box in my day bag. Why would that not meet any requirement, posted or not?
http://www.millerferry.com/about/maritimesecurity.html
Just from the way it is phrased, I'd say that pistol unloaded and holstered, ammo in mags in day bag would meet the criteria.
mropencarry

Post by mropencarry »

"....or the weapon must have a trigger lock mechanism in place. This policy will respect your right of a permit and allow for safe transit under the guidelines of the Maritime Security Regulations. "

So I dutifully lock the trigger, board the boat, unlock when we finally get there, and I don't tell a maritime soul about it. That sounds like a much better deal than begging to the jet boat gods.
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

mropencarry wrote:So I dutifully lock the trigger, board the boat, unlock when we finally get there, and I don't tell a maritime soul about it. That sounds like a much better deal than begging to the jet boat gods.
Exactly. The problem I'm having with this is why can the JXP make up their own rules, or accept rules dictated by PIB PD? They are not like any other business that can just post a GB sign. The people they transport to their destination have rights. DHS drafted rules that apply to maritime transport security. It seems to me JXP's policies go way beyond DHS maritime rules. I think this is PIB's backdoor way of doing a "Clyde". The email from JXP sounded accommodating. I wonder how many "mother-may-I's" it takes to get your gun back from PIB LE?
triplej

Post by triplej »

Well boys and girls here is a request of all that are interested in this situation.

Post the contact information for the PIBPD, VIllage Mayor/ Council of PIB, the ferry, the airplance that transports and yours truly will attempt to make contact and get them to respond in print, type, or writing.

If and when received, I shall do my best to post in quote, paraphrase, or 25 words or less, OK?

I have not been to PIB in years, and then it was long before Ohio had the CCW legal permit stuff, OK?

This way hopefully together we can get a clear understanding of the whole situation.