Guernsey County CPZ Robbed at gun point

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tc

Guernsey County CPZ Robbed at gun point

Post by tc »

This pharmacy displays the No Guns signs distributed by the local Sheriff. I used to do business with them until the signs went up. I think I will send them a letter letting them know how effective their signs were the other day.

A man police said burst into the Byesville Pharmacy Friday afternoon, demanded cash and drugs then forced a woman at gunpoint to drive him from the scene remained in lockup Saturday evening.
Byesville Police Chief John Hornak did not release the man's name, as charges were not expected to be filed against him until Monday.
"He has not been formally charged with anything," he said, adding that among the numerous addresses the suspect provided to authorities was a Wintersville address.
Hornak said the drama in Byesville began when the man, in his mid 20s, entered the pharmacy through a rear entrance shortly after 3 p.m. and demanded both cash and prescription pain medication.
Authorities received both a panic alarm from the store and a 911 call from a male who said he entered the pharmacy and individuals there whispered to him that there was an armed man in the back of the store. The male then left the business and dialed 911.
Hornak and Ptl. George Lorenz positioned themselves near the back of the store, and the suspect exited carrying cash and the drugs.
"He was ordered to stop," Hornak said. "He did not comply."
At gunpoint the officers ordered the suspect to surrender. Instead, he dropped the cash and drugs and pulled out a 9mm handgun and pointed it at the head of a woman sitting in the driver seat of a nearby automobile.
Hornak said the Cleveland-area woman in her mid 20s was kidnapped by the man earlier in the day from near Cleveland and they drove directly to the Byesville store.
The woman drove from the pharmacy onto Interstate 77 and headed north, as ordered by the suspect, with village police in pursuit. Turning eastbound onto I-70, the automobile reached speeds as high as 95 mph.
At 3:30 p.m. the suspect and the woman were still eastbound at a high rate of speed at the 186 mile post.
At 3:34 p.m. the automobile exited the interstate and headed northbound on Route 513. Eight minutes later they turned onto U.S. 22 and headed west.
Lt. Dan Vincent, Sgt. Curtis Braniger and Dep. Dick McClay of the Guernsey County Sheriff's Office and troopers Steve Stolarik, Paul Appleman and Scott Bayless from the Cambridge post of the State Highway Patrol joined in the pursuit. Hornak requested any unit able to do so to deploy spike strips to rupture the tires of the automobile.
At 3:45 p.m. the spike strips were deployed by one of the troopers at the intersection with Hobbler Lane, in central Madison Township, east of Winterset. Shortly thereafter, Hornak said, the automobile rolled to a stop along the side of the roadway.
The suspect again held the gun to the woman's head. After a brief period of negotiating for her release, Hornak said the suspect let the woman go. She was uninjured and whisked to safety, and later released to her family.
The suspect pointed the gun at his forehead, and officers pleded with him to surrender. At about 3:55 p.m. he did so.
elderboy02

Post by elderboy02 »

But I thought you couldn't bring guns into the buisness. The signs clearly say that with a picture. (End Sarcasm) Stupid CPZ's.
OFCC Member, Ohio CHL holder, NRA Life Member, AR15.com Life Member.
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Lol @ CPZs.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

So let me get this straight...

Not only does your CPZ sign not keep the gun wielding criminals out, but it also seems to attract those who aren't content with simply robbing the place. Instead it attracts those who would be inclined to kidnap someone and use them at gunpoint to try to get the police to back off. There's a three block radius around your store that I want no part of.

Granted, this woman was kidnapped earlier in the day, but I think this is a plausible case for why immunity for CPZs needs to go away. Wouldn't it be really unfortunate if a CHLer was in the process of parking his vehicle storing his weapon so as to be in compliance with the Ohio Revised Code (aka locked up since nobody in their right mind would leave it in an unlocked case sitting in plain view) and he gets carjacked and almost killed. The only reason the person was locking his weapon up was to abide by your stupid sign. Under the current law, there's not a thing he could go after the store for because in some way the issue that the person had a concealed handgun license and the store prohibited them would come up. "So sir, why were you locking your handgun up?" "Because the store didn't allow..." "Oop! oop! Sorry your honor, but my client has immunity from any actions resulting as a result of prohibiting weapons on their property..."
McM

Post by McM »

Again...

Yes, the immunity sucks for the CPZs. However, I guarantee that with the current Ohio legislature (similar to the one which put the 'poison pills' in the first CHL bill) would also insist on taking away the immunity from stores which do allow CCW. If the immunity from allowing CCW disappears, watch the signs go up faster than fast. Its a double edged sword and the antis know it.
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

There are very, very few places where we absolutely must shop... if your pharmacy is a CPZ, go elsewhere! If they're all posted, use the drive-through window!

Property owners have a right to do what they want with their property; business owners have the right to do business with whomever they choose to do business with.

Let's not forget that it truly is a two-way street: we can choose where we spend our hard-earned fiat money! We can choose to accept a higher level of risk than we'd normally appreciate in order to save a few bucks or to stay with a brand we really enjoy, or we can go to the place that isn't posted.

Businesses will change their posting practices when they've been properly educated; that education will come as the result of interaction with us, or negative interaction with their accounting firm.

Do you want the situation to change? Get your friends, relatives, and neighbors to "license-up" - as the numbers grow, this will become a non-issue for all but the "true believers" in the anti-gun camp.
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

McM wrote:Again...

Yes, the immunity sucks for the CPZs. However, I guarantee that with the current Ohio legislature (similar to the one which put the 'poison pills' in the first CHL bill) would also insist on taking away the immunity from stores which do allow CCW. If the immunity from allowing CCW disappears, watch the signs go up faster than fast. Its a double edged sword and the antis know it.
So why don't we let them have their "immunity" but take away the backing of the Law from the CPZ signs?
Last edited by Cruiser on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
dregan1000

Post by dregan1000 »

Holy S! That article indicates that he drove right in front of my in-laws' house!
jacksnack

Post by jacksnack »

Make sure you write a letter, or talk to someone in charge. Bring attention to these idiotic signs.
tc

Address

Post by tc »

Here's the address:
Byesville Pharmacy
207 Main Street
Byesville, Ohio 43723
I will be composing a letter to them tomorrow on my day off. They do not have a website that I could find.

BTW, I heard through the grapevine that the LEO's encouraged the suspect to shoot himself when he pointed the gun at himself. Tis' a shame he could not follow one lawful order :wink:
jacksnack

Post by jacksnack »

I too had trouble locating a website.
tc

Please Critique My Letter

Post by tc »

I have drafted the following to the Byesville Pharmacy:
November 8, 2007
Byesville Pharmacy
207 Main Street
Byesville, Ohio 43723

To whom it may concern:

After reading the local news about the armed robbery and kidnapping that occurred at your establishment recently, I felt compelled to send this letter expressing my concern for your policy regarding firearms in your establishment. Let me qualify my interest in the story by informing you that I used to be a regular customer of yours until I noticed the “No Guns” signs posted on the doors to your business.
As a law abiding citizen who takes my personal safety seriously, your signs prevented me from doing business with you, because your signs said that law abiding citizens were not welcome. You must understand that those of us who have Concealed Handgun Licenses have jumped through several hoops to legally carry firearms. We have undergone extensive background checks and training, and have been approved by the local Sheriff to carry our firearms. We are not a threat to you or your business.
The Bad Guy who entered your store recently did not care about any signs that say “No Guns.” He was already intent on breaking the law, and as a matter of fact broke several laws before entering your store.
Your “No Guns” signs only prevent law abiding citizens from entering your store, and create a “Criminal Protection Zone” where Bad Guys know that their potential victims have been legally disarmed.

Sincerely:
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men." - Edmund Burke
tjeffries

Post by tjeffries »

Well written TC 8)

Please post any response.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive?"-- Alexander Solzhenitzyn, Gulag Archipelago

To paraphrase George Santayana, those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/tripwire.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jacksnack

Post by jacksnack »

Nice tc... :)
Weights

Post by Weights »

Be sure to post their reply if they send one. I'm curious to see what they will have to say.