another showcase cinema tale

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

nachtrab

another showcase cinema tale

Post by nachtrab »

the ol lady and i planned to take in a movie. just so i am not surprised i decided to call showcase cinemas at levis commons in perrysburg and ask their policy. the very young lady that i first spoke with may have peed her pants a little when i asked the theater's policy on concealed handgun license holders rights. she passed me on to a manager. this lady gasped and passed me on to another manager. this lady told me "there was a sign on the door, so you can't carry here." we had already made our plans, so we went anyway..........and i decided to carry anyway and perhaps, i may, just by some freak chance, not see the cpz signs. we went in and i didn't see any such signs. the doors we went in had no smoking signs, no outside food or drink signs and what credit cards they pleasured, but no cpz signs. we watched the movie and left without incedent. on the way out i looked at every entry door and sidelight. NO CPZ SIGNS. why would they state their affinity for criminal carry over the phone, yet not officially state their policy on the entry doors?
nachtrab
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Company policy....for employees mis-interpreted.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by SeanC »

Sounds about right.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
jacksnack

Post by jacksnack »

Heck, don't ask.

Let the signs YOU SEE tell you NOT to carry.

I assume I can, until I see I can't.

If I see a sign, I will email the owner later, or see them in person and drop off a card.
McM

Post by McM »

+1 for the above comment.

Seriously, every week we get one or two of the "I called and asked" posts of some variety and the response is always the same.
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

this lady told me "there was a sign on the door, so you can't carry here." we had already made our plans, so we went anyway..........and i decided to carry anyway and perhaps, i may, just by some freak chance, not see the cpz signs.
Some things are just best left untold.....

I feel your frustration, but please don't come here and admit you decided to break the law knowingly.

I am glad no signs were posted, but wouldn't be better to just not call, go to the movie and see what happens? :?

Loose lips sink .....
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sts47

Post by sts47 »

There's been a few times I've carried in a place i shouldn't because i DID NOT KNOW about and DID NOT SEE the sign until AFTER leaving last time. I couldn't believe it. I've been there a bunch of times and never noticed.

I remember walking up to the door and checking for a sign on the sides too.. when exiting i saw it on the INSIDE of the door 4"x4" and 3" off the ground. it was also black gun on blue background with black text and dark red "no" circle - no white anywhere

It was on a glass door to a dark hallway, you DO NOT see the sign at all. But when leaving, the glass door is backlit by the sunlight, and you notice the sign just off the floor. Kinda stupid placement, but now i just won't go there. No big deal, I can spend my money elsewhere. I'll be calling them monday and let them know they lost a customer and any recommendations to my friends and family.
The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.
The pen might not be mightier than the sword, but maybe the printing press was heavier than the siege weapon. Just a few words can change everything.
Sometimes, the best answer is a more interesting question.
mreising

Post by mreising »

Do Not Call! Do Not Ask. If you have been told verbally, or notified by signage, you cannot carry there. If you go and do not see a sign until you are leaving you did not break the law by "knowingly" carrying into the business. However in this case, since you have been told you could not carry there, you broke the law by knowingly entering that theatre, even if there is no sign.
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
nachtrab

Post by nachtrab »

thanks for the comments. i did not intend to blantently ignore the law by closing my eyes being led. i had hoped there were no signs at all, not at the entry i used, poorly located, like on an interior wall or manager ignorance. at the time i didn't feel i broke the law since their were no signs. i mistakenly had not consider that i was verbally notified. for some reason i considered being notified meant in person and on site. ya'll got through to me. new policy, don't ask.
nachtrab
Weights

Post by Weights »

Oh geez, here we go again. Seriously, if you don't see a sign and it's not prohibited by law, then carry. Just make sure to conceal well in case you make an honest mistake. If your not sure, just ask on here or go up to the place, but DO NOT ASK THEM. YOU MAY CREATE A CPZ IF YOU DO. IF YOU DON'T SEE THE SIGN AND IT'S NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, SHUT YOUR MOUTH, CONCEAL WELL, AND CARRY. Come on people, how many times do we need to keep repeating this? If they are so intent on denying you to carry, IT IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY TO TELL YOU BY A SIGN OR VERBALLY, NOT YOUR'S TO FIND OUT!!
McM

Post by McM »

Weights wrote:...if ... it's not prohibited by law...If they are so intent on denying you to carry, IT IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY TO TELL YOU BY A SIGN OR VERBALLY, NOT YOUR'S TO FIND OUT!!
Can I get an 'AMEN' brothers and sisters?!?

Would it be bad form to have a one line sticky at the top of the page with a paraphrase of this so as to avoid two of these threads a week? Its getting to the point of "Which Glock should I buy...?" & "I just bought a Glock 19..." on GlockTalk.

Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

.....did I mention that I just bought a Glo....oh wait...never mind.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McM

Post by McM »

Jake...I know where you live... :P

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

McM wrote:
Weights wrote:...if ... it's not prohibited by law...If they are so intent on denying you to carry, IT IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY TO TELL YOU BY A SIGN OR VERBALLY, NOT YOUR'S TO FIND OUT!!
Can I get an 'AMEN' brothers and sisters?!?

Would it be bad form to have a one line sticky at the top of the page with a paraphrase of this so as to avoid two of these threads a week? Its getting to the point of "Which Glock should I buy...?" & "I just bought a Glock 19..." on GlockTalk.
How about, "Don't Ask Don't Tell."