Meijer- CCW Policy

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Meijer- CCW Policy

Post by JustaShooter »

docachna wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:Sorry but I'm not buying it. Meijer isn't some small mom & pop store, they have corporate lawyers and they know (or should know) that the no guns graphic means no guns period, not merely open carry. OTOH, lets take them at their word that they really are that ignorant about the meaning of the stickers. If someone had that letter with them, would that be a defense if one were stopped or questioned should it be inadvertently discovered someone was concealed carrying in their store? ........
A point that will be very expensive for you to make if you get charged. Fine if local store mgmt or local LEO buy into your point.
Agreed. I've seen some claim the LEO would not arrest them based on the letter, to which I say, he'll laugh at your piece of paper from the internet as he cuffs you.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'll state this one more time: Those blue colored "no guns" decals on the windows next to the doors at Meijer are thick, lack much adhesive, and peel off the glass easily. Normally not my brand of activism*, but sometimes polite discourse and diplomacy are not helpful. Speaking with store managers seems pointless here, and according to what others on this thread related, the corporate folks are all over the place with exactly what the current policy actually is.

A wise man once told me "If you don't like the music, talk to the organ grinder not the monkey!" That's often been good advice, but in this case everyone below the Meijer CEO seems to be monkeys. Anybody got good contact info for this organ grinder?

*I've edited/removed illegal "no guns" signage from public parks in both Ohio and Kentucky a few times over the last several years, when legitimate means of communication proved useless. In most instances that worked.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

docachna wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:Sorry but I'm not buying it. Meijer isn't some small mom & pop store, they have corporate lawyers and they know (or should know) that the no guns graphic means no guns period, not merely open carry. OTOH, lets take them at their word that they really are that ignorant about the meaning of the stickers. If someone had that letter with them, would that be a defense if one were stopped or questioned should it be inadvertently discovered someone was concealed carrying in their store? ........
A point that will be very expensive for you to make if you get charged. Fine if local store mgmt or local LEO buy into your point.
I agree. I never said that I would do that, nor do I encourage anyone to do that either. It wouldn't surprise me though if someone else out there does it. It would really be ironic if that person's name was "Mikey" :roll:

In my case being arrested wouldn't be something to be concerned with anyway, as the closest Meijer to me is in Indiana, and unlike Ohio, no guns stickers do not have the force of law that Ohio does. Regardless of this, I'm not rewarding Meijer with any of my money as long as the stickers are up. They don't sell anything that I can't get somewhere else.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Brian D. wrote:
bignflnut wrote:
I think I recall Kroger being similar to Meijer with stickers.
No, not for years. Kroger corporate posted in 2005, right after Ohio legalized licensed concealed carry. Back then they knee jerked and put up signs, but OFCC and similar groups flooded them with negative emails to the point their computer server crashed three times in about a week. One of their IT honchos (a pro gun friend) told me the command staff quickly realized they'd stepped on their own schwantzes and relented.
Kroger is not posted now but I suspect it would not take much to get them to go back to 2005.
Kroger and Harris Teeter, a grocery store chain owned by Kroger, are facing backlash after yanking pro-America products from store shelves over a single complaint.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/harris-te ... -complaint
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

We can always push back at them again.

********************************************************************************
randy

Post by randy »

I was just at the Meijer store on Springboro Pike in the Dayton area

The Blue Ghost-Busters signs at the entrances are gone.

A new one has been posted lower on the door frame that lists several things prohibited in the store including "Open Carry Prohibited".

Works for me.

(I fully believe Open Carry should be legal, and don't practice myself as I believe it to be tactically unsound, so only carry concealed normally)
Randy, NRA Life member, OFCC Member
911: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

randy wrote:I was just at the Meijer store on Springboro Pike in the Dayton area

A new one has been posted lower on the door frame that lists several things prohibited in the store including "Open Carry Prohibited".
That is an interesting development, and is more in line with their previously stated policy. Though I still won't shop there...
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

randy wrote:I was just at the Meijer store on Springboro Pike in the Dayton area

Works for me.

(I fully believe Open Carry should be legal, and don't practice myself as I believe it to be tactically unsound, so only carry concealed normally)
I saw the same thing this week. White printing on a light blue background. Shares sticker space with a "Tobacco free property" message and symbol. Clustered among several other stickers, on glass next to the doors. If you stop to read all that, someone will probably walk into you.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'd like to think our pestering* of corporate caused this backpedal/reboot. A couple of my emails got non-robo replies, real people in positions that sounded important. Their tone became more polite as time went on.

*Maybe it's just me that gets a little impertinent with these policies, not the rest of y'all.

Roller
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Roller »

Just went to Meijer in Middletown to pick up a med and found New signs posted. The old blue sign, with the gun and a slash through it are GONE. The new sign simply says "No Open Carry". I was going to post a picture but I can't make it work. I'll post a pic if someone can tell me how to do it.
Stay safe; Check 360
Roller
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Roller »

Actually the sign says “Open Carry Prohibited”. Sorry for the mis-quote.
Stay safe; Check 360
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I don't know how to post pictures on here either, Roller. Did the next best thing and posted one of that sign on the OFCC Facebook page. I hope that JustaShooter a/k/a David knows he's free to "steal" the pic from there and drag it here.

With that multiple message cluster of decals next to the doors, I really wonder how "conspicuous" it is to people who don't stop in front of the doors and read for 15-20 seconds?

I have friends who work downtown that appreciate when I bring them snacks. They were bummed I was boycotting Meijer and their excellent bakery cookies.

I stopped for a 20 ct. box today, my friends will ba happy to see me again.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:I don't know how to post pictures on here either, Roller.
You have to host them somewhere else and embed them here. Not ideal, I know. Anyway, here's that pic...
NRA Life Member

kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

I went past the Westerville Meijer last week. Still had the same signs I posted here on 2/25.

My wife came home today and said the signs were gone. I'll have to investigate to see if anything else has taken their place.
Roller
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Roller »

OK, question for JustaShooter; What do you mean by “host them elsewhere”? Remember I’m digitally challenged!
Stay safe; Check 360