Chicago.

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WeinerDog

Chicago.

Post by WeinerDog »

Is Chicago still a no-go destination if your an Ohio concealed carry license holder. My son is a pilot and spends quite a bit of time there seeing a flight attendant who lives there. He lives in Akron. He just got his license this year after years of me pleading. He had been taking his gun to Illinois, into a Chicago suburb usually leaving it in his truck when out and about.

I’m wondering if he can legally carry in downtown Chicago now or is it still a bad idea. He’s planning on some sort of trolley tour in Chicago at Thanksgiving and I’d feel better if he were armed. Actually I feel it’s a necessity.
Brian D.

Re: Chicago.

Post by Brian D. »

Far as I know, Illinois still doesn't do reciprocity with other states. Nor do they issue to non-residents of their state. (Could be some weasel wording in the details for people who claim part time residency, don't know.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

Pretty sure it's still illegal. They do seem to offer non resident licenses but I'm sure they make it very hard and expensive to keep people from exercising their rights & freedoms.
This may help.
https://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page 1
Permits/Licenses This State Honors Listed Below
Illinois does not honor any other states Permit/License.

Page 4
Non-Resident Permit
NON-RESIDENTS
In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry
License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin.
Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm
ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license
under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as
additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for
non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.
1. Arkansas 2. Idaho 3. Mississippi 4. Nevada 5. Texas 6. Virginia
You can see the Illinois State Police Listing of these states and the Criteria they use Here.
Note: Only residents of the states listed above have been approved by the Illinois State Police to apply for
an Illinois Non-Resident Permit. They will update this list if other states have criteria that meet their stands
for their residents. Illinois law states you must have a permit/license from your home state if applicable to
apply for an Illinois permit. If you don’t have your resident permit/license you can not apply for an Illinois
Non Resident Permit to Carry and will only accept applications from residents of states listed above.
Non-Residents
 16 hours of Concealed Carry firearms training provided by an ISP approved Instructor.
 An electronic copy of a valid concealed carry license from my home state.
 Electronic Copy of my training certificate(s). You will be required to upload your electronic
certificate during the application process.
 A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.
 A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.
 Be able to provide the last ten years of residency.
 A notarized affidavit documenting the applicant’s eligibility under both state and federal laws, the
understanding of the laws pertaining to possession and transport of firearms, acknowledgment the
applicant is subject to the jurisdiction of the Illinois State Police and the Illinois courts and that the
applicant meets the mental health standards in Illinois to obtain a firearm.
 $300.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.
Note: Non-Residents may be able to apply via telephone. See How to Apply section above for Residents.
You would most likely apply the same way. For more information on applying from the Illinois State Police
go Here.
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Illinois does not recognize an Ohio license *except* in your vehicle. Under 430 ILCS 66/40 a nonresident of IL can carry a concealed handgun in their vehicle if they have a license from their state of residence. If they exit the vehicle, the firearm must be locked in the vehicle *or* unloaded and put in a case (for example, if taking the firearm into a hotel, etc.).

From https://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
430 ILCS 66/40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her
vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as
evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of
residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked
vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
(Source: 102-538, eff. 8-20-21
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WeinerDog

Post by WeinerDog »

Thanks guys.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Wish there was something better to report. When taking trips to the upper Midwest states and beyond, it's almost impossible to drive around rather than through Illinois. Best I could do was not stop and exit the vehicle for any reason while inside their borders.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

It's been long established that while the State of Illinois is quite gun restrictive, Cook County is almost like entering another country and they don't handle guns/carry in Cook County like they might handle it elsewhere in the state.

YMMV, but I hold these truths to be self evident:

--as a gun owner and guy that carries, I am an ENEMY to LE in Cook County, IL and I would expect to be treated as such
--you'd have to be nuts to be in Cook County, IL without a firearm nearby
thus
--I do not go to Cook County, IL for any reason

I know that this does not solve your dilemma.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!