If I was threatened

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

henryevans

If I was threatened

Post by henryevans »

If I have a ccw and I was charged with aggravated menacing as a M-1 Will I lose my right to carry? Will I ever be allowed to carry?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: If I was threatened

Post by JustaShooter »

As I understand it, in Ohio Aggravated Menacing is considered a Misdemeanor Offense of Violence and as such would cause someone to lose their CHL for 3 years. After that period is over, they could have their CHL restored or could re-apply if it expired during that period.

See ORC 2923.125 (D)(1)(f), 2901.01 (A)(9), and 2903.21
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
docachna

Post by docachna »

His question was would he lose it if he was charged. Does he forfeit the license only upon conviction, or upon charges being filed ?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Methinks a charge means nothing until convicted. As usual, IMNAL, in fact, I barely think.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

docachna wrote:His question was would he lose it if he was charged. Does he forfeit the license only upon conviction, or upon charges being filed ?
Javelin Man wrote:Methinks a charge means nothing until convicted. As usual, IMNAL, in fact, I barely think.
Even a charge of a disqualifying offense suspends the license until/unless the charges are dropped. Yes, I know. But that's how the law reads.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

A small side note: My understanding is that it's supposed to be a county sheriff's office that physically comes and confiscates the carry license during the investigation, not local PD.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:A small side note: My understanding is that it's supposed to be a county sheriff's office that physically comes and confiscates the carry license during the investigation, not local PD.
Ohio law says they sheriff that issued the license must notify them by certified mail that they are required to surrender the license. From ORC 2923.128(A):
(3) Upon becoming aware of an arrest, charge, or protection order described in division (A)(1)(a) of this section with respect to a licensee who was issued a concealed handgun license, or a conviction of or plea of guilty to a misdemeanor offense described in division (A)(2)(a) of this section with respect to a licensee who was issued a concealed handgun license and with respect to which division (A)(2)(c) of this section does not apply, subject to division (C) of this section, the sheriff who issued the licensee's license shall notify the licensee, by certified mail, return receipt requested, at the licensee's last known residence address that the license has been suspended and that the licensee is required to surrender the license at the sheriff's office within ten days of the date on which the notice was mailed
But yes, it is the sheriff's responsibility though I suspect local PD seize them as a matter of course.
NRA Life Member