Concealed gun in school zone

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

smawgunner45

Concealed gun in school zone

Post by smawgunner45 »

I've read some conflicts in federal and Ohio laws regarding this. Sorry if it's been discussed, but can a school employee keep a concealed weapon in the vehicle parked in the teacher parking lot?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Concealed gun in school zone

Post by JustaShooter »

Yes, if the school employee has a CHL and the handgun stays in the vehicle, the vehicle is locked when the school employee is not in the vehicle, and the handgun is locked in an enclosure within the vehicle like a locking glove box, locking center console, or a gun safe, etc.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
shawnph

Post by shawnph »

Is there any issue if the school also is at a church? For example, a teacher at a parochial school?
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

shawnph wrote:Is there any issue if the school also is at a church? For example, a teacher at a parochial school?
I'm not a lawyer but when I read the ORC I didn't find anything saying that a private school was treated differently than a public one.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

shawnph wrote:Is there any issue if the school also is at a church? For example, a teacher at a parochial school?
No, if you meet the vehicle storage requirements for the school the church does not introduce any additional requirements.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!