Gun stolen from unlocked vehicle

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rmoreaux11

Gun stolen from unlocked vehicle

Post by rmoreaux11 »

Hi guys, I'm currently having a discussion with several people about a guy who posted his gun was stolen from his unlocked car at his house. I said he can be charged with leaving the fun easily accessible but a few people are saying I'm crazy. I figure this would be the best place to get an answer on this. I searched the forum and didn't get what I was looking for. Third was posted on a Dayton Ohio car group. Thanks for the info.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Gun stolen from unlocked vehicle

Post by JustaShooter »

There is no law I'm aware of, either Ohio or Federal, that he violated. Was he stupid? Yup, and then some. But I cannot see any law he broke by being stupid.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

...about a guy who posted his gun was stolen from his unlocked car at his house.
I believe he would have more grief even potentially legally if at the mall shopping parking lot, or gas station at 114th & E North St.

Hope he retrieves it and, LESSON LEARNED, do not, DO NOT, leave ANYTHING unsecured in a vehicle ! !
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote:There is no law I'm aware of, either Ohio or Federal, that he violated. Was he stupid? Yup, and then some. But I cannot see any law he broke by being stupid.
What about the laws in Ohio that say if you're in the parking lot of a certain place, (like a school) that requires the gun to be secured, could that technically apply? I know it's a stretch but I also have known of a few in LE who would stretch it if possible.
docachna

Post by docachna »

JustaShooter wrote:There is no law I'm aware of, either Ohio or Federal, that he violated. Was he stupid? Yup, and then some. But I cannot see any law he broke by being stupid.
IF that were the case - you couldn't build enough prisons.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

rmoreaux11 wrote:Hi guys, I'm currently having a discussion with several people about a guy who posted his gun was stolen from his unlocked car at his house. I said he can be charged with leaving the fun easily accessible but a few people are saying I'm crazy. I figure this would be the best place to get an answer on this. I searched the forum and didn't get what I was looking for. Third was posted on a Dayton Ohio car group. Thanks for the info.
I wonder if this happened in Dayton or a rural area outside of Dayton? The reason I ask is I've known some people who live just outside Dayton in a rural area and some of them are(or used to be) very lax about basic security precautions, always leaving cars and doors unlocked during the day, like crime is only something that happens in Dayton. :roll: It's sort of like that where I live, except we don't live just outside a big city, we are almost as way out in the middle of nowhere as you can get for this part of Ohio, and on a road with no city traffic, just the very occasional pickup truck pulling a trailer, tractors, and horse and buggies. Even so, I still don't leave a gun in an unlocked car.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:
What about the laws in Ohio that say if you're in the parking lot of a certain place, (like a school) that requires the gun to be secured, could that technically apply? I know it's a stretch but I also have known of a few in LE who would stretch it if possible.
Certainly, in that case it would be possible to charge them under the relevant statute - Section 2923.122 | Illegal conveyance or possession of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance or of object indistinguishable from firearm in school safety zone. for example.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
nurkvinny

Post by nurkvinny »

Broke no law. Fun should always be accessible.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

nurkvinny wrote:Broke no law. Fun should always be accessible.
Stupidity is not always illegal, but it should be avoided when possible.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Vehicle should have been locked.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
Certainly, in that case it would be possible to charge them under the relevant statute - Section 2923.122 | Illegal conveyance or possession of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance or of object indistinguishable from firearm in school safety zone. for example.
That's what I was wondering, thanks. I'm not saying that the guy mentioned in the OP could be charged because he was allegedly in his own driveway. I was just referring to situations where someone could potentially be charged if it happens somewhere else, like a school or workplace parking lot, for example.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:Vehicle should have been locked.
That, or don't leave anything like a gun inside. I always lock my doors but I knew a few people in Dayton many years ago that said they never lock their doors anymore because some criminals damaged their vehicle in order to steal their stereo or other valuable object inside, and in many cases the damage to the car was more than what the stereo was worth. Nowadays the majority of thieves probably don't even care what's in a car anymore unless they can see something or think something is hidden inside. Nowadays it's mostly about stealing cat. convertors for the majority of thieves. :(
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Vehicle should have been locked.
That, or don't leave anything like a gun inside. I always lock my doors but I knew a few people in Dayton many years ago that said they never lock their doors anymore because some criminals damaged their vehicle in order to steal their stereo or other valuable object inside, and in many cases the damage to the car was more than what the stereo was worth. Nowadays the majority of thieves probably don't even care what's in a car anymore unless they can see something or think something is hidden inside. Nowadays it's mostly about stealing cat. convertors for the majority of thieves. :(
Back in the days when I had a 1969 MG, I never locked it because thieves in the know could just pull the top away from the velcro holding it to the rear fender and reach in and unlock the door and those not in the know would slash the top. If I had to leave something in the car, I locked it in the trunk which was a bit more secure.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

My first roommate in college was from a suburb of Ashtabula (yup, just east of nowhere 8) ) and left his keys in his unlocked car. I harped on him that Canton had car thieves. I finally started moving the car to random places on campus and he stopped doing it to keep me from doing that.

As to the gun in the car their is no earthly law against it but I have a sincerely held religious belief. The 11th Commandment is Thou shalt not be shot with thine own gun.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
marca

Post by marca »

quote="catfish86"]As to the gun in the car their is no earthly law against it but I have a sincerely held religious belief. The 11th Commandment is Thou shalt not be shot with thine own gun.[/quote]

Then the 12th commandment must be Thou shalt not be without a gun. Nice to have one that’s always with you in the car.