rifles and Mags

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WeinerDog

rifles and Mags

Post by WeinerDog »

I remember some time ago discussion about having rifles and magazines in your vehicle as a CHL holder. I believe it was stated that we could have a rifle and loaded mags inside our vehicle as long as the mag wasnt inserted in the rifle. I've been thinking about having my ar15 in the trunk when i'm out and about, but would'nt it also be legal inside ?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: rifles and Mags

Post by JustaShooter »

The way I read Ohio law, yes, it would be legal as long as you follow the rest of the transport rules. The long gun must be transported in *one* of the following ways:
Either:
(1) In a closed package, box, or case;
OR
(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
OR
(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
OR
(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

And, any loaded magazines can be anywhere in the vehicle as long as they are not in a long gun.

From ORC 2923.16:
(L) Divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section do not affect the authority of a person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license to have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle, without being transported as described in those divisions, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any other provision of this chapter. A person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license may have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle without further restriction, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any provision of this chapter.
So, put the AR in a case and close it, and put the loaded mags in the same case if you like, and the case can be anywhere in the vehicle you like.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WeinerDog

Re: rifles and Mags

Post by WeinerDog »

Thanks Justashooter !!