Had my first notify today

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dingode

Had my first notify today

Post by dingode »

We were in Marengo for my daughter's skeet shooting competition this weekend and on the way to the shoot this morning we had two deer run out in front of us on I-71 and I ended up hitting one. No one was hurt except the deer (dead) and the car (totaled). Luckily the team coach was getting on the highway right behind us and his family loaded up my daughter and her gear and took her to the competition.

Trooper Fox, I'm guessing from the Mt. Gilead OSHP post, was the responding officer and I notified him as soon as he got out of his car and told him my gun was on my right hip. He responded with a thank you and when I asked if he'd like to see my CHL he said no. I now realize I should have had my license out and waiting for him, but was a little shook up and mad that the dang deer totaled my daughter's car, a 2005 CR-V that ran like new, looked like new, and I just filled the gas tank 10 miles earlier. GRRRR! Trooper Fox stayed with us until the wrecker came and even offered to drive us to up the road to the competition. Other than the car is totaled it was a very good encounter.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Had my first notify today

Post by schmieg »

dingode wrote:We were in Marengo for my daughter's skeet shooting competition this weekend and on the way to the shoot this morning we had two deer run out in front of us on I-71 and I ended up hitting one. No one was hurt except the deer (dead) and the car (totaled). Luckily the team coach was getting on the highway right behind us and his family loaded up my daughter and her gear and took her to the competition.

Trooper Fox, I'm guessing from the Mt. Gilead OSHP post, was the responding officer and I notified him as soon as he got out of his car and told him my gun was on my right hip. He responded with a thank you and when I asked if he'd like to see my CHL he said no. I now realize I should have had my license out and waiting for him, but was a little shook up and mad that the dang deer totaled my daughter's car, a 2005 CR-V that ran like new, looked like new, and I just filled the gas tank 10 miles earlier. GRRRR! Trooper Fox stayed with us until the wrecker came and even offered to drive us to up the road to the competition. Other than the car is totaled it was a very good encounter.
Sorry to hear about the car, but am glad that no one was hurt except the deer.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

What was done with the fresh, tenderized, venison?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
dingode

Post by dingode »

AlanM wrote:What was done with the fresh, tenderized, venison?

Left on the side of the road. The buzzards and coyotes will make quick work of it I suspect.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Glad it was a pleasant encounter
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
docachna

Post by docachna »

"Permitless carry" (a/k/a "Constitutional Carry Lite") starts 7/1. I'll keep my permit because I plan to travel outside the state once or twice before I die, and I don't intend to go without.

I'm expecting every cop's first question on a traffic stop will now be "Do you have any firearms in the car?".

Probably should have been for a long time.............
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

docachna wrote:"Permitless carry" (a/k/a "Constitutional Carry Lite") starts 7/1. I'll keep my permit because I plan to travel outside the state once or twice before I die, and I don't intend to go without.

I'm expecting every cop's first question on a traffic stop will now be "Do you have any firearms in the car?".

Probably should have been for a long time.............
As I recall from a couple of articles, TN's permitless carry has a lot of restrictions. Essentially, as I heard it you have to be a resident of TN and meet all of the requirements to get a permit. Do you know if that's accurate or not?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
docachna

Post by docachna »

JustaShooter wrote: As I recall from a couple of articles, TN's permitless carry has a lot of restrictions. Essentially, as I heard it you have to be a resident of TN and meet all of the requirements to get a permit. Do you know if that's accurate or not?
Not sure what requirements you're referring to, other than not be legally forbidden from legal firearm possession. Open or concealed carry, as long as you can legally possess the weapon.

As far as being a TN resident, I do not know the provisions for non-residents to walk in and constitutionally carry. Haven't pursued it, as I have my permit.

EDIT: Here's Tennessee Firearms Association's article about the new law. As you can see, they recommend sticking with a carry permit.

https://tennesseefirearms.com/2021/06/t ... t-instead/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE