Anyone recently flown out of CVG with handgun?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CCIman

Anyone recently flown out of CVG with handgun?

Post by CCIman »

What was the counter process, and experience? I am flying to Denver next month, via United, want to know what to expect. Thanks.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
JEaton

Re: Anyone recently flown out of CVG with handgun?

Post by JEaton »

I went Delta last fall and my son flew American just yesterday.

Has always been standard procedure at CVG airport.
Tell them you have a firearm to declare when checking back
Sign the form
Some will ask to see gun/ammo most don't
Lock the gun case
Place inside your suitcase with declaration form
Finish check in.
Sometimes they have asked me to hang out at counter area before going through TSA screening to make sure the baggage screeners don't ask to open the case.

NOTE: Flying out of PHX with is gun has always been a terrible experience though.

JLE
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Mine was Dec of '19, got a cheap Florida vacation just before the 2020 nonsense happened. With Alligent it was the same as above, my ammo was in a separate container in my checked luggage. Although I didn't have to do it, I had the slide locked back in the locked container. They did ask me to wait about 10 minutes just in case I was needed, which I wasn't.
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

Thanks for the response. It's been a few years since I've done it, and I wanted to refresh. I'm always confused by the TSA language. Can the hard case that the gun is in be itself contained in a soft luggage. Does that outer luggage need to be locked or lockable?
docachna

Post by docachna »

Always a good idea to carry a copy of the airline's Weapons Transport policy, with the pertinent language highlighted. I've found many ticket clerks are not what you would call intimately familiar with the procedures for checking weapons, and I've had a couple who clearly tried to insert their anti-gun bias into their workplace. Providing them with a copy of their employer's written policy usually stops that in a hurry.

Usually, however, if you simply get very familiar with the airline's policy, and then follow it to the letter, you're good to go.

EDIT: Certainly always a good idea to TSA-lock your suitcase, with the locked gun case inside.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

CCIman wrote:I'm always confused by the TSA language. Can the hard case that the gun is in be itself contained in a soft luggage. Does that outer luggage need to be locked or lockable?
Yes, the hard case can be inside of a larger soft case - and, unless the hard gun case is rifle sized, I recommend it. I prefer to use a case that accepts a cable so I can secure the gun case to the frame of the outer suitcase with the cable so they don't get separated, if you know what I mean.

And yes, the outer case should be TSA locked.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
s2h_euclid

Post by s2h_euclid »

I have checked my pistols in Ohio, Maine, & Florida airports but never considered doing so with a rifle. I always check the weapons with the airline (don't take it to TSA!). I put the firearms unloaded with action open in a hard metal case with lock and that inside my suitcase with combo tsa approved lock. So TSA can open the suitcase, but not the gun case. I have checked firearms at Cleveland hopkins with Spirit and United many times...When I was flying out of Akron Canton, TSA had me come in back where they scan the luggage and open my case. He said, "Nice glock" and had me close it again.
Only once I was flying out of Tampa I think it was the Spirit agent wasn't entirely sure of the process to check a weapon so I explained it to her lol.
Once when I was flying to Maine, my connection was in Newark, NJ but no troubles there. I know if a flight gets cancelled in place like that not to claim my luggage and let the airline handle it. Nearly all the time, though I make sure my connect is in another 2nd amendment friendly state/locality.
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

Update:

Flew out of CVG, United Air
At counter, said I had a gun in the check in bag.
Locked the gun case (2 little combo locks), signed the little card, zipped up the roller bag, phone call was made to TSA, and the bag went into the wall.

(Initially counter lady asked if they were TSA approved locks. I told her they did not have to be.)

Waited 10 min, tapping my toes, as the counter lady looked busy...finally, gave me my ticket stuff and sent me off.

Tip: take the boarding pass before leaving the counter to wait for the release- that way the counter person can just wave at you when they get the OK. On the other end (Denver), the bag was in with the regular luggage on the carrousel.

On the return, flew out of LasVegas, mcCarran, Delta:
Same process, this time counter person did not ask about the lock, and I had the boarding pass, so they just waved at me.

At CVG baggage claim, bag needed to be picked up in a different room with ID.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

You DON'T want the lock(s) on the gun case to be TSA locks. You want them to be standard locks. Once it is is inspected, no one should be opening the case without you present.

Glad things went smoothly.
CCIman wrote:Update:

Flew out of CVG, United Air
At counter, said I had a gun in the check in bag.
Locked the gun case (2 little combo locks), signed the little card, zipped up the roller bag, phone call was made to TSA, and the bag went into the wall.

(Initially counter lady asked if they were TSA approved locks. I told her they did not have to be.)

Waited 10 min, tapping my toes, as the counter lady looked busy...finally, gave me my ticket stuff and sent me off.

Tip: take the boarding pass before leaving the counter to wait for the release- that way the counter person can just wave at you when they get the OK. On the other end (Denver), the bag was in with the regular luggage on the carrousel.

On the return, flew out of LasVegas, mcCarran, Delta:
Same process, this time counter person did not ask about the lock, and I had the boarding pass, so they just waved at me.

At CVG baggage claim, bag needed to be picked up in a different room with ID.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

I've not done much of this since about 2012, so....

Couple of things I ran into here on the web:

A counter clerk insisted that somebody put TWO locks on the pistol case because it had two holes for locks....

A TSA guy at CLE asked me to open the TSA lock on the suitcase 'cause he didn't want to bother looking for his....

I've had a couple counter types who asked me why, including one who seemed to be angling for a range invite (at CLE, not a lot of help 'cause I was from Youngstown), and two at DFW who had no idea what to do.

Overall, it's a PITA to discourage us in some case, but as long as you follow their rules and the TSA's it shouldn't be a problem.

I did find out recently that my sister, who lives near Dallas, has a range on her postage-stamp farm property (40 acres). Last time I mentioned that, she all but exploded with NO....

My little sister, who passed about a year ago, had a boyfriend who was in some kind of arms business. Somewhere along the line, she acquired an airsoft version of a Mossberg shotgun. I found it in my garage. Turned out that she'd given it to my daughter (who was living with her at the time). She had another gun guy as a boyfriend....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם