took my stepdaughter shooting for the first time

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bigbosky

took my stepdaughter shooting for the first time

Post by bigbosky »

Finally took my 11 year old stepdaughter shooting for the first time.
She had a great time and she did great. First time shooting a gun
and she was hitting a 6 inch steel target at 100 yards with iron sights.
She was shooting my old marlin 22. On top of that she is a lefty shooting
a right handed gun. She really liked shooting the steel target and
not so much the paper cuz its boring. I want to keep it fun for her to
keep her interested. What are some other ways to make it fun for a young girl
when she gets bored with the steel target.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: took my stepdaughter shooting for the first time

Post by Sevens »

Balloons are also a good target if the goal is more geared toward informal and fun. Not great targets for genuine skill building and precision for at least two reasons if not more— they whip around in nearly any amount of breeze and also, a bullet strike ANYWHERE near them where the bullet fragments makes for an easy hit.

For more precision work with a .22 (but still lots of fun!) is empty 12ga and 20ga hulls. They move when you hit ‘em and a good solid hit on the brass head and they can really go in to flight.

A box of clay pigeons (skeet) is a fun target for .22 rifles at distance, as they shatter when the shooter makes the hit. Sometimes you can get more than one hit on them if chunks fly off. Beware that these do litter orange and black pieces on the range and may not be desirable.

Tannerite exploding targets can REALLY be fantastic fun, but these can get expensive and most ranges don’t allow them, so these are better if you are shooting on private property. Could be best saved for “last shots of the day.”
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

There are a number of clay pigeon target holders out there, even some that drop them down one at a time when shot so you have more to shoot at before resetting. Another fun one that helps develop precision is pool cue chalk - they are just under an inch on a side, and make a nice blue cloud when struck directly.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Sevens wrote: Tannerite exploding targets can REALLY be fantastic fun, but these can get expensive and most ranges don’t allow them, so these are better if you are shooting on private property. Could be best saved for “last shots of the day.”
I thought Tannerite was legal to own but not legal to use in Ohio. Have I been telling people incorrect info?
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

At a ladies' Appleseed, we had paper targets that were pictures of banana splits. The target was the cherry. Bit of a challenge.

You could try 20 oz water bottles full of water or gallon jugs with water. Those might be better for shotgun, though. It makes quite a spray.

I have heard of people using golf balls, but most of the ranges Appleseed went to didn't allow those.

When you are sure she is a safe shooter, try doing a "mad minute". How many times can you make the steel ring or how many holes on the target in 60 seconds. See if you can get more on target. That is speed and accuracy.

Some of my kids went to Appleseed shoots about that age. It is two long days, so not all were ready. It is something to keep in mind for the future, though. More info on that
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

kcclark wrote:
Sevens wrote: Tannerite exploding targets can REALLY be fantastic fun, but these can get expensive and most ranges don’t allow them, so these are better if you are shooting on private property. Could be best saved for “last shots of the day.”
I thought Tannerite was legal to own but not legal to use in Ohio. Have I been telling people incorrect info?
That's my understanding as well - once you mix the components, you've made an explosive that is considered dangerous ordnance under Ohio law. Most sheriffs don't have an issue with it as long as you are being safe and not disturbing the neighbors too much, but as I understand it, it is technically illegal in Ohio to mix and detonate it - unless you obtain a Dangerous Ordnance License but I've never known an individual that has done so..
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!