Carrying takedown carbine in backpack?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SSChevyMan

Carrying takedown carbine in backpack?

Post by SSChevyMan »

Just wondering what the legality would be if you carried a takedown rifle in your backpack while hiking.

Could mags be loaded? What if it shared magazines with your sidearm which you have a license to carry concealed?
(ಠ益ಠ)
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Carrying takedown carbine in backpack?

Post by Cosmos »

Personally, I would not risk it. I believe the CHL only applies to handguns. Even if you should prevail in the end, any arrest would cost you. You might not even have your firearms returned without a fight. Shoulder straps are a lot less expensive.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
SSChevyMan

Post by SSChevyMan »

Cosmos wrote:Personally, I would not risk it. I believe the CHL only applies to handguns. Even if you should prevail in the end, any arrest would cost you. You might not even have your firearms returned without a fight. Shoulder straps are a lot less expensive.
Yeah, but I'm looking to just carry something small and light in a camelbak.

I'm okay with my guns being confiscated as long as doing so wouldn't make me a felon. So, trying to figure out the legality of it.
(ಠ益ಠ)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

The more I think about this, the more I'm not sure. I started from the position that it would be illegal, and having loaded magazines that fit it available to you would make it a felony.

*But*, I know people carry different packable rifles in backpacks on hiking and camping trips, and I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble over it, so that started me thinking.

I'm beginning to think that the fact that these kinds of rifles are partially disassembled *may* exempt them from the "Carrying concealed weapons" statute. That statute says, in ORC 2923.12:
A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.
If a rifle is partially disassembled and in a backpack, it is certainly concealed, but is it actually "ready at hand"? I think that's the key. Now, I'm not a lawyer, and of course this shouldn't be taken as legal advice, but I suspect you'd be fine in the unlikely event you were stopped by law enforcement.

You might consider investing in a good firearm lawyer to see what they say - that's certainly the safest approach.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
SSChevyMan

Post by SSChevyMan »

JustaShooter wrote:The more I think about this, the more I'm not sure. I started from the position that it would be illegal, and having loaded magazines that fit it available to you would make it a felony.

*But*, I know people carry different packable rifles in backpacks on hiking and camping trips, and I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble over it, so that started me thinking.

I'm beginning to think that the fact that these kinds of rifles are partially disassembled *may* exempt them from the "Carrying concealed weapons" statute. That statute says, in ORC 2923.12:
A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.
If a rifle is partially disassembled and in a backpack, it is certainly concealed, but is it actually "ready at hand"? I think that's the key. Now, I'm not a lawyer, and of course this shouldn't be taken as legal advice, but I suspect you'd be fine in the unlikely event you were stopped by law enforcement.

You might consider investing in a good firearm lawyer to see what they say - that's certainly the safest approach.
Now, to add a bit of complexity to the issue, the carbine I'm talking about is a Kel-Tec sub2000. It folds.. but is that considered disassembled as in the way you were talking?
(ಠ益ಠ)
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I wouldn't think that folding = disassembled.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

Pirateguy191 is correct, having a folding stock in no way equates to disassembled.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

Cosmos wrote:Pirateguy191 is correct, having a folding stock in no way equates to disassembled.
Well, it's not the stock that folds - the Sub-2000 breaks just behind the chamber. When folded it cannot fire.
https://www.keltecweapons.com/wp-conten ... -9mm-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, unfolding and snapping it into a usable shape is quick, but while folded it cannot shoot.

With the mag out... hmmmm... I'm just not sure how I'd vote.
And I have one!
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Just ask a policeman or a ranger! :)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

SSChevyMan wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:If a rifle is partially disassembled and in a backpack, it is certainly concealed, but is it actually "ready at hand"? I think that's the key. Now, I'm not a lawyer, and of course this shouldn't be taken as legal advice, but I suspect you'd be fine in the unlikely event you were stopped by law enforcement.

Now, to add a bit of complexity to the issue, the carbine I'm talking about is a Kel-Tec sub2000. It folds.. but is that considered disassembled as in the way you were talking?
I would say no. I personally wouldn't carry one that way under current Ohio law, *especially* if I had loaded magazines that fit it.

What is your reason to carry it that way? Is it to have it accessible when needed, or is it to have fun at some point in the hike when you reach a place you want to shoot it, or what?

If it's to have fun at some point, then if you had a way to lock the backpack so it wasn't easily accessible, that might work. If it is a double-zipper compartment, they make small locks that can go through the sipper pulls to lock them together.

It it's to have it accessible when needed, then maybe consider an AR pistol in 9mm - pretty sure there are variants that take Glock mags, if that's what your sidearm takes.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I frequently carry a keltec sub2000 in a gym bag or backpack. Since the folded sub can't be fired unless unfolded it is not 'ready to hand'.
That's my story anyway.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
SSChevyMan

Post by SSChevyMan »

Cosmos wrote:Pirateguy191 is correct, having a folding stock in no way equates to disassembled.
As someone else said, this isn't like a folding stock on other guns where you can still use it, it's inoperable while in a folded (taken down?) state.
Javelin Man wrote:Just ask a policeman or a ranger! :)
It's been my experience that those that enforce the law usually have the poorest understanding of it.
147Doc wrote:
Well, it's not the stock that folds - the Sub-2000 breaks just behind the chamber. When folded it cannot fire.
https://www.keltecweapons.com/wp-conten ... -9mm-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, unfolding and snapping it into a usable shape is quick, but while folded it cannot shoot.

With the mag out... hmmmm... I'm just not sure how I'd vote.
And I have one!
and there's not exactly a stipulation that says something that's not easily accessible must not be able to be made to be fire in x amount of seconds, it's just whether it's good to grab and fire or not, or so I thought.

Same!
JustaShooter wrote:
SSChevyMan wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:If a rifle is partially disassembled and in a backpack, it is certainly concealed, but is it actually "ready at hand"? I think that's the key. Now, I'm not a lawyer, and of course this shouldn't be taken as legal advice, but I suspect you'd be fine in the unlikely event you were stopped by law enforcement.

I would say no. I personally wouldn't carry one that way under current Ohio law, *especially* if I had loaded magazines that fit it.

What is your reason to carry it that way? Is it to have it accessible when needed, or is it to have fun at some point in the hike when you reach a place you want to shoot it, or what?

If it's to have fun at some point, then if you had a way to lock the backpack so it wasn't easily accessible, that might work. If it is a double-zipper compartment, they make small locks that can go through the sipper pulls to lock them together.

It it's to have it accessible when needed, then maybe consider an AR pistol in 9mm - pretty sure there are variants that take Glock mags, if that's what your sidearm takes.
It's to have on me to defend myself if need me.

I mean I have an AK pistol but that would be way heavier, not to mention the mags. A few stock mags for a sub2000 wouldn't be a huge add-on of weight. I am trying to fit all this in a light camelbak backpack, after all.
evan price wrote:I frequently carry a keltec sub2000 in a gym bag or backpack. Since the folded sub can't be fired unless unfolded it is not 'ready to hand'.
That's my story anyway.
Yeah, that's my thinking as well. It isn't readily fireable even if it was in a backpack... let alone in a collapsed state where I literally couldn't fire it without some reassembly.
(ಠ益ಠ)
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I'm okay with my guns being confiscated as long as doing so wouldn't make me a felon. So, trying...

I'm sure there's a lollipop :roll: charge, COMMUNITY SERVICE ONLY, for a potential carrying ready at hand a concealed RIFLE .

Maybe, possibly, only an essay question-style answer, or write it on the chalk board 100 times ''I will not...''

:P :P
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

See below.
Last edited by Brian D. on Sun May 30, 2021 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Javelin Man wrote:Just ask a policeman or a ranger! :)
I think your sarcasm was misunderstood a little further down the page, Jav. A few posts up from mine here.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.