Did DeWine sign a new knife bill into law

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tracker1

Did DeWine sign a new knife bill into law

Post by tracker1 »

What’s out there on the new knife law?
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Did DeWine sign a new knife bill into law

Post by JustaShooter »

Yes he did, there's a discussion in the Ohio Politics forum here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Glock Rock

Post by Glock Rock »

tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

JustaShooter wrote:Yes he did, there's a discussion in the Ohio Politics forum here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. It seems very limited because most cities have their own ordinances which is a patchwork of laws of which many are vague anyways.
When I first seen this I was ready to upgrade to some better higher quality knives, not now. I wouldn’t want to get a high dollar knife confiscated on to of a charge if I’m stopped by the wrong cop.
Does the law state that you must declare you have one if you get stopped?
Mal R

Post by Mal R »

tracker1 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Yes he did, there's a discussion in the Ohio Politics forum here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=94936" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. It seems very limited because most cities have their own ordinances which is a patchwork of laws of which many are vague anyways.
When I first seen this I was ready to upgrade to some better higher quality knives, not now. I wouldn’t want to get a high dollar knife confiscated on to of a charge if I’m stopped by the wrong cop.
Does the law state that you must declare you have one if you get stopped?
I saw something on Facebook (take that for what it's worth) about looking at pre-emption next session. Any truth to that?
"Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

tracker1 wrote:Does the law state that you must declare you have one if you get stopped?
No, the only time you are required to notify is if you have a Concealed Handgun License and are carrying a concealed handgun or are transporting a loaded handgun.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

JustaShooter wrote:
tracker1 wrote:Does the law state that you must declare you have one if you get stopped?
No, the only time you are required to notify is if you have a Concealed Handgun License and are carrying a concealed handgun or are transporting a loaded handgun.
Well that’s good.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

tracker1 wrote:
Most of the bigger cities have length restrictions. Those at least aren't vague. Smaller cities typically just followed the state's language. Even if they don't update their local statutes this change will apply to them, because it was an Ohio SC interpretation of "deadly weapon" as applied to concealed knives that was so vague. This new law now explicitly excludes knives carried concealed from being deadly weapons unless used as a weapon, therefore that previous interpretation no longer applies.

It isn't preemption, but it does remove that terribly vague wording not just at the state level, but everywhere that relied on the OHSC's vague guidance on when a concealed knife might (or might not) be a deadly weapon.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Are switch blades and auto knife legal to carry now. :?:
Black Rifles Matter
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

steves 50de wrote:Are switch blades and auto knife legal to carry now. :?:
Under state law, yes, but be wary of city ordinances that can still restrict them.
NRA Life Member

steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

JustaShooter wrote:
steves 50de wrote:Are switch blades and auto knife legal to carry now. :?:
Under state law, yes, but be wary of city ordinances that can still restrict them.
:wink: Thanks buddy.
Black Rifles Matter