Williams County Sheriffs dept, not accepting USCCA Instruct

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Williams County Sheriffs dept, not accepting USCCA Instruct

Post by willbird »

Does not affect me in any way directly. it does not seem to me like the County Prosecutor is who should be deciding this ??
******** CCW UPDATE ********
For applicants holding a certificate issued from a USCCA course, until we receive an official opinion from our Prosecutor's Office, we will not be accepting them at this time. We will still issue CCW's for any eligible Ohio resident or out of state resident with proof of employment in Ohio that presents a certificate taught by a valid NRA or OPOTA instructor.
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Brian D.

Re: Williams County Sheriffs dept, not accepting USCCA Instr

Post by Brian D. »

As you know, that's who the sheriff's offices always ask first for legal opinions.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

Brian D. wrote:As you know, that's who the sheriff's offices always ask first for legal opinions.
No I did not know :-).

Bill
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

willbird wrote:Does not affect me in any way directly. it does not seem to me like the County Prosecutor is who should be deciding this ??
For applicants holding a certificate issued from a USCCA course, until we receive an official opinion from our Prosecutor's Office, we will not be accepting them at this time. We will still issue CCW's for any eligible Ohio resident or out of state resident with proof of employment in Ohio that presents a certificate taught by a valid NRA or OPOTA instructor.
Hmph. This should have been settled years ago when Ohio law changed to allow "qualified instructors who were certified by a national gun advocacy organization, the executive director of the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.75 or 109.78 of the Revised Code, or a governmental official or entity of another state." ORC 2923.125 (B)(3)(b)
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

willbird, let us know when they provide an update.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

JustaShooter wrote:
willbird wrote:Does not affect me in any way directly. it does not seem to me like the County Prosecutor is who should be deciding this ??
Hmph. This should have been settled years ago when Ohio law changed to allow "qualified instructors who were certified by a national gun advocacy organization, the executive director of the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.75 or 109.78 of the Revised Code, or a governmental official or entity of another state." ORC 2923.125 (B)(3)(b)
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

willbird, let us know when they provide an update.
I'll keep my eyes open. We have a new Sheriff now which may be where this came from. He is a by the book guy which I like honestly. Really pro RKBA, is an NRA Certified Instructor himself. I was hoping this had come up before somewhere else and been settled already. As I said it has no impact on me personally.

Bill