Renewal Confusion - Section V

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DustyShagg

Renewal Confusion - Section V

Post by DustyShagg »

I'm about to renew for the second time, and I'm confused by section V of the Ohio form. The first question in section V reads:
Have you previously applied in Ohio or in any other state for a license to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun?
And if you answer yes, it wants you to list the county and date of each application.

Since this is a renewal, am I supposed to list my initial application, and the previous renewal here?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Renewal Confusion - Section V

Post by JustaShooter »

Yes, that's my understanding - and what I've done when I renewed with the new form.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
DustyShagg

Post by DustyShagg »

I see. Thanks.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Best of my knowledge, nobody has ever been "dinged" by a county sheriff's office as long as they took their best guess on that question. Same with listing previous residence addresses. (Of course with renewals, you only need to list addresses from the time you last applied until now.)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Brian D. wrote:Best of my knowledge, nobody has ever been "dinged" by a county sheriff's office as long as they took their best guess on that question. Same with listing previous residence addresses. (Of course with renewals, you only need to list addresses from the time you last applied until now.)
I will freely admit that the 'best guess' seems sensible, but I had an uneasy feeling with the subjectiveness of 'accuracy' when I saw that question myself and still do.
In this day and age I try not to underestimate any situation.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:Best of my knowledge, nobody has ever been "dinged" by a county sheriff's office as long as they took their best guess on that question. Same with listing previous residence addresses. (Of course with renewals, you only need to list addresses from the time you last applied until now.)
Agreed - as I recall, I either put just the year, or month and year to the best of my recollection, and left it at that. I've also never heard of anyone getting dinged over it.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

My dad first got his license in 2004 at the age of 72. Listing all his addresses going back 54 years, including the military base he served at, was a combination of facts and best guesses.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:My dad first got his license in 2004 at the age of 72. Listing all his addresses going back 54 years, including the military base he served at, was a combination of facts and best guesses.
I am so glad they dropped that from the application. Although I wasn't as old as your father when I first applied, having been a military brat and college kid I had similar issues. ;)
NRA Life Member

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:My dad first got his license in 2004 at the age of 72. Listing all his addresses going back 54 years, including the military base he served at, was a combination of facts and best guesses.
When I first applied in 2004, I had four pages of addendum listing addresses. Luckily, I had files containing every tax return I had ever filed, so I had all the addresses except for a couple of temporary duty ones that only lasted a couple of months.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
DustyShagg

Post by DustyShagg »

Thanks for all the feedback on this.

Now I have a follow-up question. How long should it take for them to complete my new license and contact me?
I did not supply a self-addressed stamped envelope for them to mail it to me (the USPS has been sketchy lately) and they said I'd be contacted when it was time to come pick it up. I renewed on January 4th and I haven't heard anything yet. Does this seem normal? The automated message when you call the station says contact them after 30 days if you don't have it, but I think that is referring to new applications, rather than renewals.