Gun in car while drinking

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

hanzosbm

Gun in car while drinking

Post by hanzosbm »

Hello all,

I am currently waiting for my CCW appointment but a question occurred to me today that I figured I'd ask to the knowledgeable folks here.

Obviously, I know that drinking while carrying is a big no-no. But let's say the wife and I are out and about for dinner, and it just so happens that my favorite beer is on the menu and my wife isn't really in the mood to drink. Do I have the option of going back out to the car, securing my sidearm in a lockbox, and then coming back into the restaurant and having a few drinks? If so, how does that work regarding my wife (who does not have a CCW) driving a car home that now has a gun locked up in it? Any issues?

I'm just trying to decide how firmly I need to plan before leaving the house.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Gun in car while drinking

Post by JustaShooter »

Welcome to the OFCC forums! BTW, your first 5 (I think) posts must be approved before they show up, that's why you didn't see this one when you re-posted it.

As I understand it, from a former Ohio county prosecutor, you would need to unload and store it for transport as if you didn't have a CHL. Mag out, no ammo in gun, gun in closed package, box or case, mag in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure that closes with a fastener of some kind. And yeah, in the trunk is a good idea.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
hanzosbm

Re: Gun in car while drinking

Post by hanzosbm »

That makes sense regarding the delay in seeing my post. Thank you!

Regarding how to store the firearm properly, that makes a lot of sense. Basically, treat it like my wife (with no CHL) is transporting a gun by herself and follow all applicable laws. That definitely helps to simply the situation and help me understand. Thank you!