Loaded Rifle Mags in Car with CCW

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Col Duke

Loaded Rifle Mags in Car with CCW

Post by Col Duke »

What's the law here now relative to carrying loaded rifle mags in my car with a valid CCW? Is it legal to carry loaded rifle magazines in my trunk with my unloaded rifle, or must the load mags and unloaded rifle be in separate compartments?
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Loaded Rifle Mags in Car with CCW

Post by Cruiser »

Not sure what the law says but I keep the loaded clips in a separate bag from the rifle.
Abandon ye all HOPE!
welshj

Post by welshj »

The law says that anything other than a handgun must be carried empty and clear.

In the trunk, in a hat with a cat, in a box with a fox- it matters not.
They must not be ready and hot. :)

Sorry- just in a wierd mood. Lol.

Afaik- all my research says loaded "magazines" and ammunition may be carried in any way, any where with a CHL.
Any number of guns, in any way as long as unloaded and clear...

What the law doesn't say with a CHL is how.
(5)

(a) "Unloaded" means, with respect to a firearm other than a firearm described in division (K)(6) of this section, that no ammunition is in the firearm in question, no magazine or speed loader containing ammunition is inserted into the firearm in question, and one of the following applies:

(i) There is no ammunition in a magazine or speed loader that is in the vehicle in question and that may be used with the firearm in question.

(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

(b) For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a)(ii) of this section, a "container that provides complete and separate enclosure" includes, but is not limited to, any of the following:

(i) A package, box, or case with multiple compartments, as long as the loaded magazine or speed loader and the firearm in question either are in separate compartments within the package, box, or case, or, if they are in the same compartment, the magazine or speed loader is contained within a separate enclosure in that compartment that does not contain the firearm and that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents or the firearm is contained within a separate enclosure of that nature in that compartment that does not contain the magazine or speed loader;

(ii) A pocket or other enclosure on the person of the person in question that closes using a snap, button, buckle, zipper, hook and loop closing mechanism, or other fastener that must be opened to access the contents.

(c) For the purposes of divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

(6) "Unloaded" means, with respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

(7) "Commercial motor vehicle" has the same meaning as in division (A) of section 4506.25of the Revised Code.

(8) "Motor carrier enforcement unit" means the motor carrier enforcement unit in the department of public safety, division of state highway patrol, that is created by section5503.34 of the Revised Code.

(L) Divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section do not affect the authority of a person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license to have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle, without being transported as described in those divisions, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any other provision of this chapter. A person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license may have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle without further restriction, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any provision of this chapter.
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

If you have a CHL, loaded long gun magazines can be anywhere in the vehicle *except* in a long gun. Put them in the same case as the long gun if you like, in the seat beside you, in your lap, wherever, it matters not as far as Ohio law is concerned.

Relevant section of ORC 2923.16
(L) Divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section do not affect the authority of a person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license to have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle, without being transported as described in those divisions, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any other provision of this chapter. A person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license may have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle without further restriction, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any provision of this chapter.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Cruiser wrote:Not sure what the law says but I keep the loaded clips in a separate bag from the rifle.
You think I could barrow some of your CLIPS ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
Cruiser wrote:Not sure what the law says but I keep the loaded clips in a separate bag from the rifle.
Being used to Military surplus rifles, Mauser, Mosin Nagant etc. I am used to referring to anything used in a rifle as a CLIP!

https://www.differencebetween.com/diffe ... -magazine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abandon ye all HOPE!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Cruiser wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:
Being used to Military surplus rifles, Mauser, Mosin Nagant etc. I am used to referring to anything used in a rifle as a CLIP!

https://www.differencebetween.com/diffe ... -magazine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I knew you new..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
MR D

Post by MR D »

M1 Garand clips

I often have loaded 5.56 magazines in my automobile. I also will have my AR Pistol with me.... and an AR rifle of the same caliber.
"I'd rather be tried by a jury of my peers, than carried by six of my friends..."
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

As I cleaned around my gun safes, I found some loaded 5.56 clips. I should carry those whenever someone tries to correct my word usage. :P
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Javelin Man wrote:As I cleaned around my gun safes, I found some loaded 5.56 clips. I should carry those whenever someone tries to correct my word usage. :P
My rifle upgrade process has been complicated by the chaos of my forced move due to the condo fire.

While unpacking, I found [separated by weeks] one or two 5.56 clips and at least one magazine clip adapter. I haven't even attempted to organize the gun stuff once I got it out of the boxes and onto shelves, plus I've got a huge moving box full of stuff that I haven't touched yet. I think I had quite a few clips, but haven't found most of them... not to mention the few clips for my Broom Handle.

I'm probably going to have to order a bunch more clips.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I only have a couple clips for my broomhandled Mauser. :( Not that I'm going to shoot it much or carry it. I'm not Luke Skywalker, you know.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George