Cincinnati police firearm removal: standard procedure?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

nick112288

Re: Cincinnati police firearm removal: standard procedure?

Post by nick112288 »

This is good advice, I don't take it as criticism.

It's been so long since I bought a vehicle that required new tags, I didn't even think about the weather damaging them. Usually when I get a new vehicle I'm also getting rid of one and just have the tags transferred.
docachna

Post by docachna »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
...Here's what I would do for now...

Ask for a copy of the body worn camera that was turned on per their policy during the search of your vehicle. Their policy can be found here... https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/as ... /12540.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After you have the video, file a complaint with the police department and how what you know happened and what you were told differs from the body worn camera footage.

Give it about a month, and every month thereafter, and ask for a copy of your complaint and the status of it.

If at any point, you are denied or they stonewall you, then contact the media. The media will eat this alive as they seem to have a hatred towards CPD anytime there is office misconduct.

Boy - never even occurred to me to ask for the body cam video !!!!

Of course, when I got out of the business in 1987, body video was a thing of science fiction. My patrol captain got all upset when I wore a little micro-cassette recorder on my Sam Browne and recorded interactions with the public !!! But boy, did it save my bacon more than once !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How times have changed....................
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

I've never tried the laminated route. I wrap mine in plastic wrap before mounting it where the plate belongs. Has always lasted the necessary amount of time versus the uncovered one that taught me that I needed to do something.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

It's been my observation that the CPD has an ongoing problem with their vehicle impound practices. It's sometimes staffed by officers who were taken off street duty..for whatever reasons..and placed there to "keep out of trouble" while they're being investigated, discipline is being decided, etc.

About every ten years the activities at impound lead to some of the crew being fired or at least forced to resign or retire.

Right now the feds are even involved in the investigation. My guess (based on more than a guess) is that there were cars being parted out, and flat out sold from there, across state lines.

Don't dally in retrieving your vehicle.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

schmieg wrote:Do not read this as a criticism of the OP. What I have done the last few times I have had to use a temporary tag when buying new vehicles is to laminate them with the laminating material you can buy at Office Max or other supply store before mounting them on the back of the vehicle. This protects the tag against inclement weather and helps it survive until real tags can be obtained. I will not tape one to the inside of my back window the way the BMV suggests as this has the potential to damage the rear window defogger strips.

Just a tip for those in the same position in the future.
Hadn't thought about lamination... I always used a gallon sized zip-top baggie. Tag inside, spare plastic wrapped and held by the screws into the license plate frame. Never had any significant damage - rainstorm once got through and I had to let it air.

Thought of the idea when I was starving-student level, and have done it that way ever since.