checked handgun at airport question

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wls

Re: checked handgun at airport question

Post by wls »

M-Quigley, I flown out of CVG a few times with a checked handgun. They follow the TSA rules regarding how to have the gun in a locked case and inside your suitcase, but each time I’ve checked a gun I’ve had to wait by the ticket counter until the suitcase clears TSA. One time it took about 15 minutes, another time it took about 5 minutes. Suitcase just had to be locked.

We were traveling to Las Vegas and when returning from Vegas they do the TSA thing, but you don’t wait for the suitcase to clear TSA.....Vegas probably see more checked guns then CVG.

M-Quigley wrote:
JEaton wrote:Note, some airports are very specific about the locked case (PHX for certain). They require both sides of the case to lock, basically they said if they can pry one side up and look inside it is not secure.

Returning for GRPC this year tripped me and another guy up because both of our cases only had a lock hasp on one side. We were only able to get through after cramming both guns in my small case, taking my knife and cutting extra holes on other side and applying his lock in the second set of holes. Had to trash 20 hollow points because the box they were in wouldn't fit in case with both guns and my box of ammo.

Gate agents first suggested that we go to one of the airport stores and buy a hard sided suitcase was not paying $800 for a suitcase at the airport :lol:

JLE
That's a good point. I'm considering flying out of CVG (cincinnati) not sure of their policy. Is that controlled by TSA at the airport? I should make sure it locks on both sides anyway, just to be covered.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

wls wrote:M-Quigley, I flown out of CVG a few times with a checked handgun. They follow the TSA rules regarding how to have the gun in a locked case and inside your suitcase, but each time I’ve checked a gun I’ve had to wait by the ticket counter until the suitcase clears TSA. One time it took about 15 minutes, another time it took about 5 minutes. Suitcase just had to be locked.

We were traveling to Las Vegas and when returning from Vegas they do the TSA thing, but you don’t wait for the suitcase to clear TSA.....Vegas probably see more checked guns then CVG.
So when I get to CVG where is the first place I should go to in order to get the TSA to inspect my handgun and hard case? Or do I check in with the ticket counter first and then go somewhere else? And will the ticket counter tell you when the suitcase clears TSA? I was under the impression someone had to inspect the gun inside the hard case prior to me putting it inside the suitcase.
I was going to lock the hard gun safe with the built in lock of course, but use a tsa luggage lock for the regular luggage case.
wls

Post by wls »

M-Quigley wrote:
wls wrote:M-Quigley, I flown out of CVG a few times with a checked handgun. They follow the TSA rules regarding how to have the gun in a locked case and inside your suitcase, but each time I’ve checked a gun I’ve had to wait by the ticket counter until the suitcase clears TSA. One time it took about 15 minutes, another time it took about 5 minutes. Suitcase just had to be locked.

So when I get to CVG where is the first place I should go to in order to get the TSA to inspect my handgun and hard case? Or do I check in with the ticket counter first and then go somewhere else? And will the ticket counter tell you when the suitcase clears TSA? I was under the impression someone had to inspect the gun inside the hard case prior to me putting it inside the suitcase.
I was going to lock the hard gun safe with the built in lock of course, but use a tsa luggage lock for the regular luggage case.
Go directly to the ticket counter with your handgun secured in the “safe”in your luggage. The gun and ammo have to be separate (just follow the TSA guidelines on how to pack gun and ammo.). I don’t believe you’ll have to open the safe for the agent, but things change depending on airline, personnel, but likely you’ll just have to confirm that the gun is not loaded. You’ll have a form to sign the goes INSIDE the luggage, just laid in the luggage loosely. The ticket agent will let you know when your luggage clears TSA . Definitely use TSA locks for your luggage.

This information is based on my experience at CVG within the last year, but as I said, things change based on personnel, airline requirements, etc. Key things are....gun in locked hard side case, ammo separate, form goes INSIDE your luggage and luggage locked with TSA lock. Those are the basics. Probably not a bad idea to take a copy of the TSA requirements AND from your airlines WEB site so you can show an uninformed ticket agent if you get one. You should be good to go.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Thanks for that info, very helpful.
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

My problem was they didn't allow loose ammo and the gun case was so small that only our 2 guns and my one box of HPs would fit. Just wasn't enough room to cram my buddy's box in there too

JLE
JustaShooter wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:
JEaton wrote:Note, some airports are very specific about the locked case (PHX for certain). They require both sides of the case to lock, basically they said if they can pry one side up and look inside it is not secure.

Returning for GRPC this year tripped me and another guy up because both of our cases only had a lock hasp on one side. We were only able to get through after cramming both guns in my small case, taking my knife and cutting extra holes on other side and applying his lock in the second set of holes. Had to trash 20 qhollow points because the box they were in wouldn't fit in case with both guns and my box of ammo.

Gate agents first suggested that we go to one of the airport stores and buy a hard sided suitcase was not paying $800 for a suitcase at the airport :lol:

JLE
I didn't notice that earlier when I read this the first time, but regarding ammo, if I read the TSA and Allegaint sites correctly, a box of ammunition is not required to be in the same hard case as the handgun, it can be in the regular checked luggage. Is that correct?
That is correct. You are allowed up to 11 pounds of ammo, and it does not have to be in a locked case. That was probably a situation where the airline agent wasn't aware of the airlines rules and enforced their own opinion. Great reason to have printouts of both the TSA *and* airline rules for transport of firearms and ammunition when traveling.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

JEaton wrote:That is correct. You are allowed up to 11 pounds of ammo, and it does not have to be in a locked case. That was probably a situation where the airline agent wasn't aware of the airlines rules and enforced their own opinion. Great reason to have printouts of both the TSA *and* airline rules for transport of firearms and ammunition when traveling.
Some places do require the ammunition to be in an ammo box and the rounds separated - read this as the ammo came from the store.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
welshj

Post by welshj »

schmieg wrote:
JEaton wrote:That is correct. You are allowed up to 11 pounds of ammo, and it does not have to be in a locked case. That was probably a situation where the airline agent wasn't aware of the airlines rules and enforced their own opinion. Great reason to have printouts of both the TSA *and* airline rules for transport of firearms and ammunition when traveling.
Some places do require the ammunition to be in an ammo box and the rounds separated - read this as the ammo came from the store.
Toledo airport- TSA says must be in original store type packaging. (Last time I went through.)

Stored separately, in luggage with handgun. I too used metal pistol safe, and looped the cable through the eyes of my padlock and bag- as I was using an army issued dufflebag as luggage.
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)