Illinois and Texas transport

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Illinois and Texas transport

Post by Gramps »

It is extremely probable our daughter and I will be headed to Arizona in a few days or weeks.
We are taking the northern route out and the southern route back and passing through Ill. and TX. which have no reciprocity with Ohio.
A simple explanation of the transport rules is hard to find on the net this morning.
Can someone put it into dumb ole electricians language?
Thanks in advance!
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Illinois and Texas transport

Post by JustaShooter »

An Ohioan with an Ohio CHL can carry concealed in their vehicle in Illinois. If you exit the vehicle, you must either unload the handgun and put it in a case or must lock the handgun in the vehicle. No other special transport requirements.

As for Texas, if your Ohio CHL was issued or renewed March 23 2015 or later, you *do* have reciprocity with Texas. If not, according to Texas law anyone who can legally possess a firearm can carry it in a vehicle in Texas. If you do not have a license Texas honors, the firearm must be concealed but can be anywhere in the vehicle.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote:An Ohioan with an Ohio CHL can carry concealed in their vehicle in Illinois. If you exit the vehicle, you must either unload the handgun and put it in a case or must lock the handgun in the vehicle. No other special transport requirements.

As for Texas, if your Ohio CHL was issued or renewed March 23 2015 or later, you *do* have reciprocity with Texas. If not, according to Texas law anyone who can legally possess a firearm can carry it in a vehicle in Texas. If you do not have a license Texas honors, the firearm must be concealed but can be anywhere in the vehicle.
So if your Ohio license was before 3-23-15 and it is concealed on your person while in your car, can you still get out of your car with it in Texas if you stop somewhere?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:An Ohioan with an Ohio CHL can carry concealed in their vehicle in Illinois. If you exit the vehicle, you must either unload the handgun and put it in a case or must lock the handgun in the vehicle. No other special transport requirements.

So if your Ohio license was before 3-23-15 and it is concealed on your person while in your car, can you still get out of your car with it in Texas if you stop somewhere?
No, my understanding is that you would need to leave it in the vehicle. Presumably you could unload it and carry it in a case, but I haven't researched that part of Texas law to know exactly what is required.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cosmos »

Thankfully for all Ohio CHL licensees, the Texas before or after 3/23/15 issue is moot after next March.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Cosmos wrote:Thankfully for all Ohio CHL licensees, the Texas before or after 3/23/15 issue is moot after next March.
Yep! And then I can remove one of the colors I use on the reciprocity maps I hand out in class and at gun shows. One less thing to explain! Yay!
NRA Life Member

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

No, my understanding is that you would need to leave it in the vehicle. Presumably you could unload it and carry it in a case, but I haven't researched that part of Texas law to know exactly what is required

Anyone know 100%? I dont want to end up a hoosegow in Tumble Weed Gulge Texas! Mrs, me and our infant son lived in Eldorado for 8 months or so in the early 80's.
We loved Tx but I wasn't in jail either :(

BTW we are not taking the northern route thru Ill. now. Our daughter has never seen the southwest states and I would like to again. Also less chance of traffic stopping weather in the SW this time of year.
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Gramps wrote:No, my understanding is that you would need to leave it in the vehicle. Presumably you could unload it and carry it in a case, but I haven't researched that part of Texas law to know exactly what is required

Anyone know 100%? I dont want to end up a hoosegow in Tumble Weed Gulge Texas! Mrs, me and our infant son lived in Eldorado for 8 months or so in the early 80's.
We loved Tx but I wasn't in jail either :(

BTW we are not taking the northern route thru Ill. now. Our daughter has never seen the southwest states and I would like to again. Also less chance of traffic stopping weather in the SW this time of year.
When was your Ohio license issued or renewed last?
NRA Life Member

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

An Ohioan with an Ohio CHL can carry concealed in their...
Any special rules through IL for long guns. Possibly out west next spring and, I do not wait till last minute. I was thinking (uh oh hehe) obviously cased, empty, and rendered somehow inoperable i.e. take barrel off of receiver, or remove bolt. Shotgun for hunting. Store ammo in a seperate container i.e. duffle. I mean, all that sounds reasonable but is irrelevant to law.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WhyNot wrote:
An Ohioan with an Ohio CHL can carry concealed in their...
Any special rules through IL for long guns. Possibly out west next spring and, I do not wait till last minute. I was thinking (uh oh hehe) obviously cased, empty, and rendered somehow inoperable i.e. take barrel off of receiver, or remove bolt. Shotgun for hunting. Store ammo in a seperate container i.e. duffle. I mean, all that sounds reasonable but is irrelevant to law.
No special rules - and in fact, for an Ohioan with an Ohio CHL the rules for a long gun are the same as handgun in IL - the law says "firearm":
(e)Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1)is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2)is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3)is not in possession of a license under this Act.

If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)
Without a license from your state of residence, you would need to transport the firearm unloaded and secured in a case in the trunk or in the back of an SUV.
NRA Life Member

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Wow

thnx!
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

M-Quigley wrote:

Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Gramps wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:

No. Texas does not honor Ohio licenses issued before that date.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Schmieg, do you know if Texas still recognizes Utah's concealed weapons permit? I still renew mine but I'm not sure why. :oops:
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

BEAR! wrote:Schmieg, do you know if Texas still recognizes Utah's concealed weapons permit? I still renew mine but I'm not sure why. :oops:
Yes, it does. See http://www.handgunlaw.us/
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand