No carry permit

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ohio boy

No carry permit

Post by ohio boy »

I was having a talk with the grandson about buying and trading firearms. I explained that our Ohio carry permit had become the preferred method of both the seller and buyer to establish a safe base line. That if we had a carry permit we had already gone through a back ground check. He asked me what we used for the people who shoot and hunt but do not carry. I did not have an easy answer for him. So I am here to ask all of you. What do we do with all of our fellow gun folks that do not carry.

ohio boy
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: No carry permit

Post by JustaShooter »

I require the buyer show me an Ohio driver's license, and ask if there is any reason under Ohio or Federal law that they cannot legally possess the firearm. I also generally only deal with people I know personally or have an established reputation on this or other forums I participate in.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

As I am not qualified to verify the authenticity of a driver license, I ask 3 questions:

1) Are you a resident of Ohio?

2) Are you old enough to legally purchase this firearm?

3) Have you committed any crime which would make it illegal for you to purchase this firearm?

If they lie about any of the above, they are committing a crime while I am selling in good faith.

Also, I would advise folks to not rely on the CHL as 'proof' as there is a window of up to 5 years where the person MAY have moved out of state and/or committed a crime. Asking them the 3 questions (and recording yourself doing so) establishes, in my humble, non-lawyer opinion, prudence. Looking at numbers and letters on a piece of plastic created some time in the past doesn't seem to do that.
MyWifeSaidYes
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

I've sold a few guns to people I know are residents of Ohio. If I sell at a gun show, all is required is I ask them to show me a valid OHIO DL or ID. 8)
God made man, Colt made them equal
UncleT

Post by UncleT »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:As I am not qualified to verify the authenticity of a driver license, I ask 3 questions:

1) Are you a resident of Ohio?

2) Are you old enough to legally purchase this firearm?

3) Have you committed any crime which would make it illegal for you to purchase this firearm?

If they lie about any of the above, they are committing a crime while I am selling in good faith.

Also, I would advise folks to not rely on the CHL as 'proof' as there is a window of up to 5 years where the person MAY have moved out of state and/or committed a crime. Asking them the 3 questions (and recording yourself doing so) establishes, in my humble, non-lawyer opinion, prudence. Looking at numbers and letters on a piece of plastic created some time in the past doesn't seem to do that.

Dewine and the Republicans get their way, all that won’t matter, they will arrest you and throw you in prison.
glove

Post by glove »

Dewine and the Republicans get their way, all that won’t matter, they will arrest you and throw you in prison. [/quote]

Sure your not talking about the Democrats? :lol:
NRA Life Member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club Member 72-75
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Dewine and the Republicans get their way, all that won’t matter, they will arrest you and throw you in prison. [/quote]

Sure your not talking about the Democrats? :lol:

Nope, he got it correct. The birds are of a feather so to speak

And if the (R) do not advocate an actual jail toss of the body, but however, a loose cannon (D) prosecutor DOES and uses the new (R) law, who made who?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

For me I get a picture DL and would put that requirement in the add for most guns. Then I would use some common sense, if the buyer looks dicey I will walk away.
I also make two receipts, one for the buyer and me the seller. On my receipt I will include the DL and license plate number, plus the phone number.
Now a days I will only sell to people here and on other sites that I frequent that has history and a good number of posts.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

tracker1 wrote:For me I get a picture DL and would put that requirement in the add for most guns. ...
I also make two receipts, one for the buyer and me the seller. On my receipt I will include the DL and license plate number, plus the phone number.
In this day and age, especially with identity theft as rampant as it is, there is no way I would let someone write down my DL# or any other personal information on a receipt for a firearm.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I can understand ppl wanting SOME info on a face to face sale. But NEVER a DL. More info means more potential damage, DL is IMHO just like giving out the SS#

That said, if my OH license plate, OH DL, and....OH CHL permit aren't enough to flash, no amount of writing it down could/should matter.

Think about it.

YMMV :)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

In Ohio, you can sell a firearm to another Ohio resident who is not a prohibited person. By prohibited person, this means anyone who might be too young too.

Gun shows require showing DL as a short-cut to maintaining a private sale within those rules, not a bad idea but not legally required.

If you ask questions directly to the above, “Are you an Ohio resident and legally able to buy this gun?”, you have
met the legal requirements.

Anything else is “extra”. It may or may not expose you to further legal issues. You are not an LEO when you carry your gun, you are not the ATF when you sell a gun. If you require extra, DeWine’s voluntary background check would be the ticket.

Or, just sell the gun to a dealer and take the haircut on price for the peace of mind.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

WhyNot wrote:I can understand ppl wanting SOME info on a face to face sale. But NEVER a DL. More info means more potential damage, DL is IMHO just like giving out the SS#

That said, if my OH license plate, OH DL, and....OH CHL permit aren't enough to flash, no amount of writing it down could/should matter.

Think about it.

YMMV :)
You are 100% correct on that. A number of years ago, my wife tried to write a check at K-Mart and they refused to accept it because someone in Toledo was using my wife's DL # to pass bad checks. We got it straightened out, but it took some time and the mailing of copies of her DL to K-Mart headquarters where they verified she was not the person whose name and address were on the check. We also notified the BMV and, though they seemed irritated that we bothered them, they notified us a year later that the person had been arrested and the falsified documents seized.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

I ask to see an Ohio drivers license, which will show their age, if that is not obvious.

I ask NO other questions. I'm not required to. (I mean, they would NEVER lie, would they? :wink: )

If they want my name and address, I will request theirs. If not-have a nice day. :)

If I get a "bad feeling", I trust my instincts, and won't make the sale.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.