Looking for recommendations for small gun safe

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

searay268

Looking for recommendations for small gun safe

Post by searay268 »

My daughter recently got married and she has a handgun. She is need of a small gun safe to store it in.

I was curious if you good folks had some recommendations for her? Probably looking for something with a key and a code. Bio-metric is a bonus but not required.

Thanks
AlanM

Re: Looking for recommendations for small gun safe

Post by AlanM »

I have both versions of this clamshell pistol safe.
The keyed and also the combination.
I keep one attached with the supplied cable to a seat frame in my van in case I need to enter a CPZ when out and about and armed.

https://usa.palmettostatearmory.com/gun ... large.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/gun-vau ... large.html
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
searay268

Post by searay268 »

Thanks. I should have also mentioned this would be for their apartment since she does have a small one in her car already.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I also have one similar to this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pistol-Hand-Gu ... 2663442458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Mine is over 10 years old and uses a 9v battery. Some of the new ones have a rechargeable battery.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Ferrofab

Post by Ferrofab »

I have had one of the electric with rubber buttons on the top and I can't keep batteries in the thing. I tried dating the battery changes and almost everytime I go to check it, they are already dead. Gave up and use they key now.
searay268

Post by searay268 »

Thanks for the suggestions.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Small safes serve an important purpose. In my experience, the multiple AA battery models have more reserved power than the 9 volt ones. But, these are all made to a price. If it was my daughter (and I have one), I’d supply a second small safe with a cheap but reliable gun in it. A Taurus 85 wheelgun in 38 is freaking amazing when the other safe will not open because the battery is low or it has failed.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Oh, and then I’d put a reminder in my phone to give her new batteries for it every year.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

I have two GunVault's: one standard and one deluxe, no issues with either... I also have a liberty clamshell type safe in the truck no issues with that either.. All can be had for around $100 on Amazon..
-Aaron
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Bought 2 of THESE. And I have had no issues, batteries last a long time, seems very well made. Then I started watching the "Lock Picking Lawyer" on u-tube, and with this PICK SET, also from Amazon, he entered that exact safe just as fast as I can with a key. But the average burgler probably doesn't shop on Amazon.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

techmike wrote:Bought 2 of THESE. And I have had no issues, batteries last a long time, seems very well made. Then I started watching the "Lock Picking Lawyer" on u-tube, and with this PICK SET, also from Amazon, he entered that exact safe just as fast as I can with a key. But the average burgler probably doesn't shop on Amazon.
I've got simplex type boxes (don't know if they still sell those or not anymore) and an electronic one, but I'm not under any illusions that they'll defeat a detirmined burglar. The lock boxes for mainly to keep small children from accessing a handgun while at home or someone trying to do a smash and grab to my car if I'm away from it and have to go into a criminal protection zone. (the box in the car is not in plain sight and secured to the car)
Daniel44114

Post by Daniel44114 »

I can recommend the Fort Knox pistol safe. I have three of them. Pricey, but they're as good as it gets. Enough room for the pistol and extra mags & flashlight. I can also recommend the newer Amsec Heavy Duty pistol safe - basically the same thing with the same features. I don't care for battery or key-operated quick-access boxes.
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

I have family that are LEOs and the number one tool car thieves and people that break into cars is small cutters for gun box cables that are often left in cars.
I’ve had a lot of gun boxes, Gun Vault are junk, I have a half dozen that quit working. Hornady’s are pretty good but for a pistol safe Instead of a gun box Fort Knox with mechanical buttons is tops but a bit pricey.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks