carrying handgun in a vehicle with a chl

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

kSetuni

carrying handgun in a vehicle with a chl

Post by kSetuni »

Hello everyone,

I was looking for the current requirements for having a handgun in your vehicle when loaded and with a CHL. I knwo it used to be required to be in a holster when on you (couldn't slip it into a pocket) or in a container or compartment. You couldnt have it sitting on the seat next to you.

Is this still the case or have things changed?

Thanks
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: carrying handgun in a vehicle with a chl

Post by Chuck »

That law changed several years ago.
You can carry concealed, open, or just lay it on the seat if you want.
ORC 2923.16 specifies how firearms must be transported
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
kSetuni

Post by kSetuni »

Chuck wrote:That law changed several years ago.
You can carry concealed, open, or just lay it on the seat if you want.
ORC 2923.16 specifies how firearms must be transported
OK ty.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

kSetuni:

Presuming you're not riding on a city bus or something like that, and you're trying to carry a handgun, other than determining that what you have is legally considered a handgun, you can ignore all of that!

Long guns, OTOH need to be unloaded and either locked in the trunk (or similar compartment, or carrying case), or with the action opened. I'm sure somebody will correct me, but that'll do you. The "is it a handgun"? question is based on some small rifles.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

SMMAssociates wrote:Presuming you're not riding on a city bus or something like that,
In Ohio, I don't think a city bus changes anything - well, except it would be particularly foolhardy to carry on a city bus any way other than in a holster on your person...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Daniel44114

Post by Daniel44114 »

At home, I don't leave a gun in any vehicle. The gun in the vehicle is the gun I am carrying that day.

If during the day I must leave my gun in the vehicle, such as when I teach at the college I teach at a couple of days a week, it is locked in a small gun safe attached by a steel cable to seat frame.... will at least slow anyone down at getting to my gun. I put the gun in the safe after I park, and remove it and put back on my person as soon as I return to the vehicle.

This is also a good read: Vehicle Gun Safe Guide