Carrying a Henry Survival Rifle in the trunk of my car.

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ohiodff

Re: Carrying a Henry Survival Rifle in the trunk of my car.

Post by ohiodff »

That exception applies to handguns only though, which the AR-7 is not.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

ohiodff wrote:That exception applies to handguns only though, which the AR-7 is not.
What makes you think that?
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ohiodff wrote:That exception applies to handguns only though, which the AR-7 is not.
I disagree, the wording of the exception does not specify that it only applies to handguns. In fact, it says "as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun,". If the exception only applied to handguns, then this phrase would not be needed.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
ohiodff

Post by ohiodff »

schmieg wrote:
The wording of the statute.

(L) Divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section do not affect the authority of a person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license to have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle, without being transported as described in those divisions, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any other provision of this chapter. A person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license may have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle without further restriction, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any provision of this chapter.
ohiodff

Post by ohiodff »

JustaShooter wrote:
I disagree, the wording of the exception does not specify that it only applies to handguns. In fact, it says "as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun,". If the exception only applied to handguns, then this phrase would not be needed.
The statement is an exception itself. It's stating when those restrictions don't apply. They don't apply "as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun,". Ergo, if there is ammunition in a firearm other than a handgun, those restrictions remain in force.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

ohiodff wrote:
schmieg wrote:
The wording of the statute.

(L) Divisions (K)(5)(a) and (b) of this section do not affect the authority of a person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license to have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle, without being transported as described in those divisions, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any other provision of this chapter. A person who is carrying a valid concealed handgun license may have one or more magazines or speed loaders containing ammunition anywhere in a vehicle without further restriction, as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun, in the vehicle other than as permitted under any provision of this chapter.
You are misreading the statute. It essentially is saying that a licensee may carry ammunition in magazines or otherwise anywhere in a vehicle except in a firearm other than a handgun. The only restriction is carrying ammo in a long gun, not in magazines or anywhere else.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ohiodff wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
The statement is an exception itself. It's stating when those restrictions don't apply. They don't apply "as long as no ammunition is in a firearm, other than a handgun,". Ergo, if there is ammunition in a firearm other than a handgun, those restrictions remain in force.
Nobody is saying you can have a loaded rifle magazine inserted into the rifle, we are saying that with a CHL you can have loaded rifle magazines anywhere in the vehicle as long as they are *not* inserted into a long gun. They do not have to be stored the same way they do if you do not have a CHL.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!