Chicago, IL carry?

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Chicago, IL carry?

Post by Mustang380gal »

We will be traveling soon and will drive through Chicago on one leg of the trip. I will be checking handgunlaw.us of course, but I was wondering if anyone knows about traveling on the highway through the city itself. Does the firearm need to get locked up?

Thanks!
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Chicago, IL carry?

Post by djmac1964 »

For the state of IL, as long as you have a license/permit from another state, you can have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. It can not be taken out of the vehicle and carried on your person, unless you unload it, and put it in a case for transport. Now as far as Chicago goes, they march to the beat of a different drummer, but state law does give you that option.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

And, IL has firearm law preemption, so in theory that helps protect you - in theory.

Oh, and I seem to recall someone telling me laser sights are banned in Chicago, so keep that in mind as well.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Sasquatch.45

Post by Sasquatch.45 »

- Officer on scene;
" Is that a laser that I see there on your handgun?"
- Firearm owner;
" No Officer, It's just a really tiny red flashlight with a tightly focused beam...."
No law of prohibition ever prevented a crime of violence, They simply provide a framework for punishment for those who fail to commit suicide after going postal.

The devil never made me do anything…However, he did have a couple of really cool ideals…
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Unrelated, but if you can avoid Chicago proper you’ll probably be better off. The traffic tends to be a bit atrocious during the week.

On topic, you can carry in your vehicle but laser sights and similar are banned. If you want to take it out of your vehicle it has to be unloaded and ammo separate from the weapon. Last I checked, a suitcase or backpack does not count as a case.

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway. ... icago_il_m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

In the way that we hope to teach new concealed carry folks to NOT to go hike the city park in gangland territory now just because they pack heat, so shall we teach folks NOT to go to Chicago (or Philly, DC, NYC, etc) even if they have some manner of preemption or affirmative defense.

If you expect the Govt & Police in Chicago to be pro gun, you’ve picked the wrong conclusion. If you want to carry a concealed handgun in Chicago, LEOSA is really what you want to have. Relying on other legal defense is akin to entering a Bullseye competition with a Jimenez .25 ACP.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

TJW815 wrote:Unrelated, but if you can avoid Chicago proper you’ll probably be better off. The traffic tends to be a bit atrocious during the week.
If, by "a bit", you mean it's utterly horrendous and you could walk faster than most cars are moving, then...yes. :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Sevens wrote:If you expect the Govt & Police in Chicago to be pro gun, you’ve picked the wrong conclusion.
If you expect them simply to not be criminals, you've picked the wrong conclusion.

Google: "Chicago Police Wrong Address Raid".
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

Just to be safe I would lock up my guns while driving through Chicago. Better that than get hauled in by some un-informed LEO. :roll:
God made man, Colt made them equal