.22 LR ammo

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

.22 LR ammo

Post by Gramps »

I bought a Taurus Poly .22 ( good price) yesterday to play with and kinda like it, think the Mrs will when she has time to shoot it. It will make a good back up IMO.
I am looking for info on good 22LR ammo, 40gr minimum, high velocity jacketed non hollow point and reliable as a rimfire can be.
Rag if you want a 22 as a back up but please do it while offering info asked for.

Thanks
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: .22 LR ammo

Post by JustaShooter »

Not many choices for jacketed non-hollowpoint. I'd probably look for some Aguila SuperExtra High Velocity 40 Grain Copper Plated Round Nose. I honestly can't remember seeing any other plated 40gr+ .22 ammo in a long time. For some reason most of the plated stuff is 36gr hollow point.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

CCI
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Mr. Glock wrote:CCI
That's are the two that comes to mind for me too. ( CCI mini mag 40 grain or the Aquila) I've tried both in the past and both worked fine for me, but I was using a SA revolver. Your mileage may vary.
zeko

Post by zeko »

For what it's worth, CCI Mini-Mag rounds (.22LR 40 grain copper plated round nose) work fine in my Ruger 10/22.

Zeko
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

zeko wrote:For what it's worth, CCI Mini-Mag rounds (.22LR 40 grain copper plated round nose) work fine in my Ruger 10/22.

Zeko
This is the correct answer.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

I put well over a 150rds of odd stuff in partial boxes I had in the ammo safe, some for many years. (one had a Rinks sticker on it) Only one hiccup and it was failure to feed and it was my fault, I didn't lock the barrel down good. Duh
It held a good groups for me at 21ft. I think it could do a LOT better than 4 inch groups with a better shooter. I did pull several low left but it was me not the gun. Something I really need to work on more with all our shorter barreled handguns.
Thanks you guys for your input and suggestions.
I will check our local ammo suppliers for CCI Mini-Mag rounds and Aguila SuperExtra High Velocity 40 Grain Copper Plated Round Nose this week.

Thanks
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

CCI Mini-Mags has my vote also! I have a few .22's and the Mini-Mags have never failed me! 8)
God made man, Colt made them equal
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Mr. Glock wrote:CCI
Bought a 100 rd box, 75 or so I put down range and they work very well in the little pistol.
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

CCI Mini-Mag High Velocity 22 Long Rifle Ammo 40 Grain Copper Plated Round Nose 5000 rounds $299.50 with free shipping.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci-min ... p-892.aspx
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

rimfire ammunition that is made using the "Eley" priming process is no doubt less likely to misfire.

Typical 22 rimfire priming they spin the case and drop an amount of wet priming compound into the case, it is spun out into the rim, then the cases are dried under controlled conditions, then loaded. This can leave empty parts of the rim which cause misfires.

Allegedly only two mfg in the USA make all the primed rimfire brass used here, CCI being one of the two.

The Eley process involves dropping ina qty of priming compound, then using a precision plug to displace the compound out into the rim, then again dried, and often visually inspected, then loaded.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
Ghost Recon

Post by Ghost Recon »

CCI is good stuff......

is Federal bulk pack going downhill or is it just me?
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

I have shot a lot of the Aguila SuperExtra High Velocity 40 Grain Copper Plated Round Nose and it has been reliable.

.22 ammo prices have come down a lot and it's available for 3 cents a round now in case lots (5000 rounds). Target Sports USA and SGammo.com are good suppliers I have used.

Ken